Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's Ham: best in coke or ginger ale??

(14 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 12-Oct-09 15:24:31

Reading through Nigella Christmas and am in two minds - what's the best way to do ham.

Once tried it in coke and can't remember why but it didn't really work out.

So - if cooking ham at mil's house, which is the best one to go for??

smile

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 12-Oct-09 15:26:15

I would never cook in anything other than cherry coke now. Is bloody yummy.

There is a recipe in Feast which cooks a ham in a mixture of (iirc) apple juice and cranberry juice, that may be worth a try.

Wonder why your coke ham didn't work out. You didn't use diet coke, did you?

Waswondering Mon 12-Oct-09 15:33:17

No, normal coke. I did it pre-dc so a good 7-8 years ago (from How to Eat).

Is the cherry coke version the same as the coke version? May need to try out both prior to Christmas wink!

midnightexpress Mon 12-Oct-09 15:35:33

I've done the apple/cranberry one in Feast and it was good. Also did the ginger ale one which was OK, not great. I didn't have much luck with the coke, but my cousin once did it for me with new potatoes and french beans and it was vair vair good. She probably had the Nicest Ham Money Can Buy, though, which may be my problem, as I just get whatever-ham from Tescburys.

Waswondering Mon 12-Oct-09 19:20:48

Bumping for evening crowd . .. smile

overmydeadbody Mon 12-Oct-09 19:25:00

I'd say it depends on your tastes.

Some people don't like ginger, some people don't like coke, so it's not really as easy as saying one is better than the other.

said Mon 12-Oct-09 19:25:16

Oh, have done both and the ginger ale one is sublime. Will do it every Christmas now.

overmydeadbody Mon 12-Oct-09 19:27:22

I do a lovely chicken cooked in coke recipe actually <drool> (my own invention, not Nigella)

JaMmRocks Mon 12-Oct-09 19:31:23

I love the cherry coke version, and don't really bother with anything else now

itsmeolord Mon 12-Oct-09 19:33:01

OMDB - would you mind posting the chicken in coke recipe? Would be very grateful. smile

overmydeadbody Mon 12-Oct-09 19:49:35

here you go:

Ingredients:

1 large onion chopped thinly

6 chicken legs or thighs or enough chicken wings for 4.

2 cans of coke or pepsi (not diet coke or pepsi max, you need the sugar)

a large glug of soy sauce (I don't measure, just pour in)

a little sprinkle of rice vinegar or cider vinegar (no measuring again, just sprinkle in a bit)

2 large cloves garlic, crushed

a chunk of ginger, grated

Heat a few tbsp oil in a wok until really really hot, add the onion and chicken and stir fry, turning the chicken, untoil the skin is nice and brown, then add the ginger and garlic and stir fry some more (not for long, the pan should be smoking hot). Add the coke, soy sauce and vinegar, bring up to the boil and then turn the heat down a bit and leave it so the chicken cooks and the coke reduces down to a nice sticky sauce. I usually put a lid on but have a gap for the steam to escape). I think it takes about 30 minutes cooking.

Serve it with plain rice and some stir friend vegetables or add vegetables when you are stir frying so they are all cooked together, I do it with carrots and peppers sometimes).

Add salt and pepper to taste and if you like a bit of heat, add some chilli too.

overmydeadbody Mon 12-Oct-09 19:51:47

I once added tomato puree too thinking I'd get a nice sweet and sour sauce, but it was more sweet than sour and actully I prefer it without the addition of tomate grin

My dad squeezes some lemon juice on his when I make it for him, which is also quite nice.

itsmeolord Mon 12-Oct-09 19:57:04

mmmmmm, am drooling whilst copying the recipe! Many many thanks. smile

overmydeadbody Mon 12-Oct-09 20:03:05

No worries!

I have been contemplating trying it with chunks of chicken breast instead of legs and thighs, but am not sure if the long cooking time will make it go tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now