Talk

Advanced search

Please help im nearly in tears- for the second time in 3 days there is something IN my food (dont read if you are eating)

(37 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:18:27

Im starting to think Im going mad.

On saturday I got some salmon out of the freezer to defrost. i added some teriyaki marinade and left it on the side convered in cling film. When I wentto put it in the fridge when i thought it had defrosted, there were white things in the teriyaki marinade. To be honest i didnt look too carefully at what they were i screamed and threw it in the bin.

Today ive got some lentil and bacon (honmemade then frozen) soup out of the freezer for lunch and now it seems to have very very very tiny little black bits in it? I know they aren't burnt bits or anyhting like that as the soup was all fine before I froze it.

What on earth is going on? Am I doing something wrong with regard to freezing deforsting? Someone please help before I never est anyhting ever again (although as I need to lose half a stone that may be no bad thing...)

Seeline Mon 12-Oct-09 14:21:56

What do you mean by white' things'? Could the black bits be pepper?

MindeeDilemma Mon 12-Oct-09 14:23:26

Message withdrawn

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:25:13

sorry to be vague.I presumed the white things in the salmon were maggots but on the other hand ive never seen maggots so Im not sure? (too squeamish to google). They were perhaps 1cm in length and very thin and just sort of there, they werent doing anyhting.

The black bits arent pepper. They are sort of the size of of dried herbs etc when you add those to food but they def arent, theres no herbs in it its just lentils and veg and bacon.it just loooks very different now its defrosted to when i froze it last week after batch cooking it. theres all these black bits in it.

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:25:44

no not bones, they were not IN the salmon as such more kind of on it and in the marinade.

RealityBites Mon 12-Oct-09 14:27:21

Message withdrawn

yada Mon 12-Oct-09 14:27:43

is it anything to do with flour, i found out on a hygeine course that flour gets little lice things in it if left to long.

since then i have noticed it loads in flour we have had in the house, i dread to think how many of these lice we must have eaten before i took the course hmm

yada Mon 12-Oct-09 14:28:25

and you would know if they were maggots, they are not something you wonder about.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 14:28:34

Black bits - no chance it could be non stick coating stuff from the pan? That stuff can come off the pans into food at times.

Seeline Mon 12-Oct-09 14:29:19

Maggos are usually quite fat, and wuldn't e in the freezer. How long did you eave it out of the freezer for - I wouldn't have thought it would be long enough to have allowed maggots to hatch. I am assuming the salmon was raw. What was in the marinade? Something citrus-y could have started 'cooking' the salmon - when fish cooks it leeks a milky substance - could that have been it?

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:30:26

yada yes i would say the black things do look like i imagine lice would...but theres no flour in my soup. Honestly you must all think Im mad but its really upsetting me. The white things in the salmon honesly weren't bones. they were shorter and fatter than a fish bone.

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:33:32

Thatsa relief then yada and seeline- I wasn't 100% certain at all they were maggots so hopefully that wasnt it (although that does mea I wasted two perfectly good pieces of salmon then.

the salmon would have been bought a week or two ago (no more than that) was put straight int he freezer, then I defrosted it approx 9am on saturday, added the marinade(just teriyaki sauce) then went to put it in the fridge about 3pm.

GypsyMoth Mon 12-Oct-09 14:35:26

did you show them to someone else? get a second opinion!!

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:36:53

No theres no one here to show my soup [sad and lonely] and I threw the salmon in the bin on saturday before DH could come back and look at it (he wasnt due back until dinner time).

Guimauve Mon 12-Oct-09 14:41:14

Can you photograph the soup and post the picture so that we may examine it for you?

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:45:02

crumbs how do i do that? Im a 27year old luddite. I have NO IDEA how to do that. When DH puts the photos in the computer he uses some kind of lead...but I dont know where that is...or how to use it...

Why isnt there a [totally pathetic] emoticon?

deadflesh Mon 12-Oct-09 14:48:46

So you don't mind eating rotting dead pig or fish flesh but scream and boak at dead insect flesh.

hmm

If you really need to lose half a stone try eating just veggies instead.

PoisonToadstool Mon 12-Oct-09 14:50:53

How helpful, deaddy.

RealityBites Mon 12-Oct-09 14:51:30

Message withdrawn

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:51:44

Erm, I dont think I asked for your opinion on the merits of a vegeterian lifestyle versus meat eating lifestyle, did I? I asked what I people thought by the unidentified objects in my food.

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 14:54:08

Sorry, that should be... what people thought might be the unidentified objects...

Guimauve Mon 12-Oct-09 15:20:33

Probably best to wait for DH to get home for the photos!

<Eats a steak sandwich whilst waiting with bated breath>

MaryBS Mon 12-Oct-09 15:21:58

mmm steak sandwich sounds good - rare/bloody please, if you have one going wink

Guimauve Mon 12-Oct-09 15:22:44

<Throws another juicy steak on the griddle>

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 12-Oct-09 15:23:18

Im not having (possibly) lice-infested lentil and bacon soup sitting around til 6pm! I'll have to get rid of it. Its really putting me off eating anyhting else. Though I could manage a steak sandwich if you are offering...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now