Talk

Advanced search

Help - my homemade yoghurt has an unusual consistency - is it safe?

(9 Posts)
mrsmeeps Mon 12-Oct-09 09:44:23

I have been making my own yoghurt for about a month or so, so am a relative newcomer to the art!
This is how i do it:

Whisk milk with milk powder.
Heat to 85 degrees C
Cool to 46 degrees C
Whisk in a few tbsps natural bio yoghurt
Pour into a warmed thermos
Leave overnight

As if by magic I have a thermos full of yoghurt in the morning. grin

This morning however, my yoghurt has an unusual consistency - it seems sort of stretchy - when I poured it from the thermos it looked a bit like I was pouring out PVA glue....

It tastes and smells normal, but one of my primary yoghurt consumers is my 7mo DD, and I really don't want to risk poisoning her!

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Thanks smile

ArrietyClock Mon 12-Oct-09 09:54:44

Sounds fine to me. Or at least my Mum's used to come out like this, and we are still here to tell the tale. I think it's something to do with the bacteria that make the yoghurt, 'holding hands' to form long chains, hence the stretchy, stringy look.

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Mon 12-Oct-09 09:57:07

I cannot advice.

You eat your youghurt warm from a thermos flask??? <incredulous look>

Euuuuuuueeeewwww.

sorry blush

Ivykaty44 Mon 12-Oct-09 09:59:57

Can you tell me more - as I want to have a go at making some yogurt?

Milk powder? flavouring?

mrsmeeps Mon 12-Oct-09 10:21:02

QuintessentialShadow - grin No I don't eat it warm from the thermos - I decant it into a tupperware and then put it into the fridge and consume as a normal yoghur eater would! The image of supping it warm from the thermos has made me chuckle though.

Thanks ArrietyClock for the reassurance - was only worried because it doesn't usually look like this, but did use a different milk than usual.

Ivykaty44 - some more detail for you.

I use a 500ml thermos to make the yoghurt so my measurements are to fit that.

450ml milk (have used full fat, skimmed and lactofree all to good effect)

25g milk powder (makes a thicker yoghurt)

3tbsp natural bio yogurt ( I buy a pot and make freeze it in an ice cube tray - a small pot makes 4 batches of yoghurt in total)

Whisk the milk and milk powder together - heat in a pan till just starting to boil around the edges - about 84 degrees C

Then leave to cool to about 46 degrees C

Whisk in the melted yoghurt cubes / yoghurt

Pour into a warmed thermos (I fill with boiling water and then pour away at the last minute).

Leave for a minimum of 6 hours.

Its ready!

I have also added vanilla essence before boiling, and if having as a pudding mix with home made stewed fruit or tinned fruit.

Its yummy!

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Mon 12-Oct-09 10:24:06

grin I love youghurth, but the thought of warm youghurt from a flask made me think anti-youghurt thoughts. Thanks for clarifying. Piuh. Now I can breathe.

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 12-Oct-09 10:26:43

I have had this too - seemed more likely when I put in more milk powder. We ate it without any problems .

Ivykaty44 Mon 12-Oct-09 10:26:45

Thank you - can I know ask, do you keep a little of your own yogurst - and freez that so that you can stop buying yogurt.

next question - which or where or both do you get your live yogurt?

I was thinking of vanilla smile

mrsmeeps Mon 12-Oct-09 10:47:56

I read somewhere that you can't keep using your own yoghurt as a starter as the balance of bacteria may go awry, wheras bought yoghurt has been made by experts!

I buy my starter from tesco - healthy living bio yoghurt - it says that it contains live bio cultures and does the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now