Talk

Advanced search

my toddler won't self feed - help!

(5 Posts)
LittleLobus Fri 09-Oct-09 15:43:26

I've got a 14-month-old boy who just won't self feed or use a beaker. I try every day and he just gets hysterical when I try and get him to take water or milk from anything other than a Dr Brown's bottle he's had since 3 months.

When it comes to food he won't put anything in his mouth himself - I've tried everything.
It's really frustrating to see so many babies of his age self feeding or using beakers. I don't know why he won't do it...

Anyone else in a similar position or got any advice for me?

Thanks!

hampdenpark27 Fri 09-Oct-09 16:20:57

I had a similar problem with my little boy at around the same age. the way i dealt with it was rather messy, and that was to put the food in front of him, and let him play with it. eventually the curiosity got the better of him and it went in his mouth. Also does he attend a toddler group, toddlers like to copy others, it may just be that he's not ready yet. all kids are different, and they progress at different levels, he'll get there, hope this helps somewhat.

ruddynorah Fri 09-Oct-09 16:42:19

have you tried just putting food infront of him and sort of doing other things like washing up or ironing or whatever? so you're there but not in his face as it were?

or have you tried maybe eating a sandwich while he watches you and just pass him a bit?

either way, you need a relaxed atmosphere, not one where you're overly 'trying.'

mumcah Wed 14-Oct-09 20:43:46

At his age I wouldn't worry too much.My DD and many of her friends at 18 months are only just starting to use a spoon/fork themselves.
The beaker is a different matter though and I think you will just need to persevere with it as he can't drink water out of his bottles all the time.
He will feed himself when he's ready,don't stress.

DunderMifflin Wed 14-Oct-09 20:47:26

My DS was the same until quite recently - he's almost 14mnths. I realised it was because he gets really hungry and then isn't prepared to try and feed himself!

When I'm spoon feeding him, I put other food on the table along with his beaker and he has just got used to helping himself.

He's much better now - I suppose when I'm hungry I'm a bit the same so can't blame him!

Don't stress though - I'm sure it's really common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now