Talk

Advanced search

My cookies never rise and end up a squishy messy uni-cookie

(4 Posts)
EverySingleStar Thu 08-Oct-09 23:11:54

sad

Without fail, no matter what I try, my cookies just don't turn into cookies in the oven. They spread super-far out and melt into a rivery uni-cookie.

I have tried:

Less butter
Less melted butter
Solid butter

More baking soda/powder
LOTS more baking powder/soda
More and different types of flour (usually use self-raising PLUS baking powder)

Different sugars
More egg

Help sad I love cookies to death but can't make them. I can make an excellent cake but it's such a faff! Help needed from expert cookie-makers.

Wigeon Fri 09-Oct-09 13:26:13

I don't actually know what I do right, but this recipe always works for me. It makes soft, largeish cookies - the kind you get fresh in packets from Sainsburys (or probably other supermarkets). Quite sweet but yum.

100g / 4oz softened butter
100g / 4oz muscavado sugar
1 tbsp self-raising flour
choc chips, or my favourite - smarties (about 2 tubes)

Oven on 180 or gas mark 4

Beat butter and sugar until nice and creamy. Add syrup.

Mix in half the flour and then add choc chips / smarties and rest of flour. Work to a dough with your finders

Divide into walnut sized balls. They spread out to about 10cm diameter, so leave lots of room between them.

Good luck and hope someone else can diagnose your problem!

TheFoosa Fri 09-Oct-09 13:30:48

not an expert, but is your oven too hot?

I usually chill the cookie dough for about half-hour before cooking

mussyhillmum Thu 15-Oct-09 11:06:22

Hi. I second chilling the dough for 30 minutes. If they are drop cookies, try leaving them in a ball rather than flattening them. Don't go overboard on the baking soda and powder - it can give them a chalky flavour. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now