Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with a tin of refried beans please?

(14 Posts)
timmette Thu 08-Oct-09 14:58:59

Other than serve it as a side dish? I really fancy them but want to do something different any ideas welcome.

Bramshott Thu 08-Oct-09 15:00:27

Dunno, but I wish I had something interesting like that to put in the harvest box I am trying to conjure up!

MorocconOil Thu 08-Oct-09 15:00:59

Don't know, but would also like some inspiration.

Elk Thu 08-Oct-09 15:02:54

There is a starter I had in the states where you put the beans in a dish, cover with guacamole and sour cream and warm in the oven. You then eat it as a dip with nachos.

timmette Thu 08-Oct-09 15:20:17

Bramshott that's mmy problem the cupboard is full of interesting but random purchases - that I am now trying to use up.
That's a good idea elk and my sis would love it - was hoping for a maincourse but should have mentioned that blush .
I was thinking of layering them up somehow in between tortillas kind of like a cake with salsa and something else and then serving slices - hmm or is this just pregnancy brain?

LolaAnn Thu 08-Oct-09 15:23:29

No that sounds delicious.

I make mine into burritos or enchilladas. Grab some tortillas, chicken, salsa, cheese, sour cream, avocado, whatever takes your fancy, wrap up and place in oven for about 20 mins. devine.

timmette Thu 08-Oct-09 15:49:12

Lola when you do that in the oven do you put sauce over them or are they ok naked.

BornToFolk Thu 08-Oct-09 15:52:44

You can just spread them on tortillas, add some grated cheese, tomato, bit of chili sauce then roll up and stick under the grill until melty.

redsofas Thu 08-Oct-09 15:55:44

what are refried beans? blush

OrmIrian Thu 08-Oct-09 16:00:49

Bin them! Vile things.

timmette Thu 08-Oct-09 16:13:37

Yes but sometimes only vile things will do grin especially when pregnant.
That's a good idea BorntoFolk - would some fresh corriander be a step to far?

LolaAnn Thu 08-Oct-09 16:27:10

They arent vile!! So good. Fresh corriander is a must. Timmette I do both ways, naked if DH wants to take one for lunch, the sauce will keep the tortillas soft but whatever you feel like

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 09-Oct-09 08:33:48

Ingredients

1 x Flour tortilla
3-5 slices of chorizo
Salsa
Guacamole or refried beanz
2 x eggs
cheese.

Take a tortilla, put it on a griddle and lightly toast on one side only.

Knock up a small amount of cold salsa (fresh toms, fresh chilli, coriander, paprika, red onion whatever you have to hand or fancy).

Fry a couple of eggs, do em slightly under as your gonna need to grill the tortilla with the eggs on it in a minute.

Fan out some chorizo onto the uncooked side of the tortilla. Put the fried eggs on top.

Chuck on tons of cheese, heat under grill til cheese melted.

You can put the guacamole/ beanz on after, or before but i prefer after.

timmette Fri 09-Oct-09 12:23:13

Thanks for all the help everyone I will try it over the weekend - and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now