Talk

Advanced search

Fatty chicken stock

(8 Posts)
fruitstick Tue 06-Oct-09 16:52:58

I've made chicken stock and it's really fatty - it's gone like jelly in the fridge.

How do I get the fat out? Muslin?

mamakoukla Tue 06-Oct-09 16:58:30

the bulk of the fat normally floats to the top. As it cools, it solidifies. In a fridge, I find that it forms a white waxy layer that floats on top of the stock. I scoop it out with a large spoon (no muslins in the house but that's an idea to catch any small bones as well).

Jelly like - I had this when I put a few carcasses in the pot together. Not sure why. I diluted it down a bit when cooking.

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Oct-09 16:59:36

Going like jelly in the fridge indicates that you've made a good, rich stock. It is not fat.

The fat will be a pale layer on the top. It is liquid at room temperature, but solidifies in the fridge. Lift it off carefully with a fork or fish slice, and you will end up with lovely lean chicken soup.

Mmmm...chicken soup...with noodles...or kneidlach...soul food...smile

PrettyCandles Tue 06-Oct-09 17:00:36

No no, don't dilute it! The bones make it jelly-like. Gelatine is made from bones.

anniemac Tue 06-Oct-09 17:12:25

Message withdrawn

fruitstick Tue 06-Oct-09 17:58:07

hmm, OK. I was going to use it for risotto so I may just leave it as it is.

There is no layer on the top but seem to be specks in it.

thanks for the advice

overmydeadbody Tue 06-Oct-09 18:52:05

that's what happens what it is cold!!!!!

It will be fine for risotto. The jelly will melt when you heatr it up again.

overmydeadbody Tue 06-Oct-09 18:53:01

The fat will be white or yellow solid stuff on the top. Again it will melt when you heat it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now