Talk

Advanced search

Who is the best Chinese cook / cookbook writer ever ever ever ever?

(10 Posts)
MissAnnesley Mon 05-Oct-09 18:44:31

I was always very fond of Ken Hom and then I went off him a bit and discovered Kenneth Lo but he has been dead for a while now.

Any amazing Chinese cookbooks I should know about since the dark ages of the mid90s when I last explored things like thousand year old eggs and some chicken recipe where the chicken had to be put on a metal stand for 3 days hmm?

pipWereRabbit Mon 05-Oct-09 23:44:42

I like Nancy Lam, I think she cooks Indonesian food instead of Chinese though - so I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

MissAnnesley Tue 06-Oct-09 09:29:00

I'll investigate her on t'internet.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 06-Oct-09 09:35:34

Fuschia Dunlop comes very highly recommended - she is the only non-Chinese cook to ever to have been admitted to some famous Chinese cookery school.

Have just googled her and she has a blog here

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 08:21:55

Mmmmmm I have just ordered Fuschia Dunlop's memoir! Looks good, all about her going to live in China & eating everything she comes across no matter how retch-making or weird it seems. (The ovarian fat of the snow frog... ?)

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 08:22:37

Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper by FD

slng Wed 07-Oct-09 10:42:27

The ones I use all the time:

Yan Kit-so's Classic Food of China and
The food of China which looks like a useless coffee table book but has fantastic recipes.

timmette Wed 07-Oct-09 16:41:14

I have recently cooked a few recipies from this book and they were super easy and authentic

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 07-Oct-09 16:51:40

Kylie Kwong - she's Australian. And her food is fantastic.

www.kyliekwong.org/home.aspx

MiniMilk0610 Wed 07-Oct-09 18:26:24

I second Timmette's recommendation of Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes, I bought it quite recently but made quite a few recipes so far, griddled yellow bean pork being a fave in this house at mo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now