Talk

Advanced search

pickle chuntney jam makers

(8 Posts)
roosterroo Mon 05-Oct-09 10:10:09

Hello,

I am after any really good tips for making chutney, i have all my ingredients(mainly donated from my dads veg patch) and my jars at the ready. I have a pickle book but having never made anything like this Im a bit dubious about starting!!

Any tips appreciated grin

overmydeadbody Mon 05-Oct-09 10:21:59

Jsut get stuck in!

My tipo is to follow a recipe exactly so that you get proportions right and it actually sets! grin

Guimauve Mon 05-Oct-09 10:35:57

Ah, but the good thing about chutney is you don't even need to worry about the set!

Make sure your jars are sterilised properly, and make sure the chutney goes into them while it and they are hot, or they may not seal (recent jar-sealing failure due to letting them cool too much!).

TeamEdwardTango Mon 05-Oct-09 10:39:22

You really can't go wrong with chutney.
Just be awrae that your house will smell strongly of vinegar for a few days hours.

And when you're feeling more accomplished, try making Nigella's chilli jam. It's easy but unusual, delicious and looks really pretty in jars (great gift idea!)

Guimauve Mon 05-Oct-09 11:02:19

Ooh, that chilli jam is on my list of things to make for Christmas presents!

BigusBumus Mon 05-Oct-09 11:07:41

Usually recipes from really old books like the Good Housekeeping book or Delias Complete Cookery Course work the best and don't have complicated ingredients.

Try ad use as wide a pan as you can, as this helps the vinegar evaporate from the chutney better.

Don't stick your pretty labels on the jars whilst they are still hot, they will just slip off again later!

TeamEdwardTango Mon 05-Oct-09 11:17:54

I gave chilli jam as gifts for Christmas 08 and I've been having repeat orders all year!

roosterroo Mon 05-Oct-09 13:40:46

thanks for the tips
I have the river cottage handbook for pickles and preserves, i shall follow the receipe carefully!

now to start the peeling and chopping of the 1kg of green tomatoes!!

thanks

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now