Talk

Advanced search

Theme menus

(9 Posts)
fin54 Sat 03-Oct-09 22:07:13

I’m looking for a menu with a theme to it, have thought of an American or Mexican dinner, it has to be three courses (starter, main and desert) does anyone have any good ideas for this or can suggest any other theme meal that would be easy to cook for six people

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Sat 03-Oct-09 22:29:41

Jamie's current programme covers american and mexican food - there has been lots of lovely stuff on that.

Some recipes HERE but I have seen the book in WH Smith reduced to £9.99 recently smile

SomeGuy Sun 04-Oct-09 03:14:04

Mexican is good, just avoid the shit that's sold in the supermarkets (Discovery, Old El Paso, etc.). Proper tortillas would be essential.

fin54 Tue 06-Oct-09 13:04:07

Think we're going to go with American as it's easier than Mexican

KG100 Tue 06-Oct-09 14:03:13

I did some of Nigella's white trash recipes once for similarly themed dinner.

Chicken wings or ribs to start

Definitely Ham in Coke for main.

And I did something chocolately for pud.

BlingLoving Tue 06-Oct-09 14:06:29

Is Italian too boring? It's so easy to do all Italian food with a good gazpacho to start, then either a pasta or a meat dish for main and a pannacotta or something similar for dessert?

minervaitalica Tue 06-Oct-09 14:43:58

Ehm.... My national pride calls me - Gazpacho is not Italian, it's Spanish... Anyway

If you do American, you could do corn fritters and salad as a starter, then big steaks with all the trimmings, and then pumpkin pie or maple pecan pie, or mixed muffins with coffee or mini-marshmallow cakes. Lots of Californian wine and coke/Pepsi.

Another thing I did once is having a "colour theme" for a change - a green evening - and cook the menu accordingly (e.g. pea soup, fish in coriander and coconut sauce served with rice and dark green sauteed in garlic and ginger, and pistachio pannacotta).

BlingLoving Tue 06-Oct-09 14:46:11

Shite. Sorry! blush

minervaitalica Tue 06-Oct-09 15:55:47

No probs... Happy to be of service in spreading culinary pedantry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now