Talk

Advanced search

Cake help needed!!

(7 Posts)
Littledawley Thu 01-Oct-09 13:46:35

Help!! I need to make DD's birthday cake - have followed my usual sponge recipe but the bloody things just won't cook! I now have one stodgy in the middle cake and two slightly burnt! I am (honestly) usually quite good at cakes - the only new thing today is the tin. Is it possible that the tin is too heavy? I bought it to make my Christmas cake and now have a vague recollection of that taking longer than expected to cook.

Don't want to make another in the same tin and have the same problem - if people think it's the tin then I can go and buy a new one, if it's not the tin then I'm buggered!!

Littledawley Thu 01-Oct-09 13:56:09

bump

dizzydixies Thu 01-Oct-09 21:49:25

have you got an oven thermometer? that should sort out any heat issues

what happened to the tin you normally make your cakes in if this is a new one?

Littledawley Fri 02-Oct-09 08:08:07

Had used this tin as the cake required a square one, my usual favourite is rectangular. I ended up making two more cakes in my usual tin and they were perfect. I used 24 eggs yesterday!! Luckily I was able to salvage the first one to make turrets (Fairy princess castle cake!!)

mackerel Fri 02-Oct-09 08:12:09

I would have thought that it might be too thick if it's a Christmas cake tin. also the proportions - if it's a gigantic mix. You could try a lower temp for longer - I routinely do this as oven a furnace and burns leaving inside raw.

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 08:28:57

no it isn;t the quality of the tin itself, it's the shape

cook it much cooler for much longer

Littledawley Fri 02-Oct-09 21:38:29

I think that Mackerel may be right - the tin is very heavy and thick. It's all turned out well though and I have just finished decorating my Princess Castle it and am a bit proud! DD will love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now