Talk

Advanced search

any simple pud ideas using 6 egg whites?

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 01-Oct-09 12:01:31

I've been debating lemon meringue but can't really be arsed with faffing about making pastry. Anything else I could do with them? Or at least some of them to make something sweet?>

hanaflowerhatestheDM Thu 01-Oct-09 12:02:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AstronomyDomine Thu 01-Oct-09 12:04:12

or a mousse of some sort?

lucysmam Thu 01-Oct-09 12:06:12

I could just do meringues with some fruity bits or something I guess. Just thought that might be a bit boring

Bramshott Thu 01-Oct-09 12:07:08

Just make meringue blobs (I find nests too tricky!). They freeze really well and defrost quickly, and you can use them later either just with some fruit and yohgurt for instant DCs pudding, or to make eton mess.

MrsBadger Thu 01-Oct-09 12:08:23

make lots of meringues - they keep brilliantly so you can put off thinking about what to do with them till you are more inspired.

or freeze them - egg whites freeze fine.

lemon meringue won;t help as you need the yolks to make the filling, otherwise I'd have suggtsed making a lemon meringue with cheesecake type base (you know, crushed buscuits and melted butter) to avoid having to make pastry.

lucysmam Thu 01-Oct-09 12:14:05

oooh, MrsBadger, I'd never thought of doing lemon meringue with biscuit base. Fab idea, will add that to my book to remind me next time I toy with the idea of making one.

plain old meringues it is. Then I can freeze & have a think when I'm more in the mood. Thanks

MrsBadger Thu 01-Oct-09 12:29:15

smile I do that base a lot

the best dodge is when you can;t be arsed with pastry for a quiche/flan - use cream crackers (or or any crackers, or oatcakes) to do a savoury version of the same thing

meltedmarsbars Thu 01-Oct-09 14:30:15

Did you know you can freeze egg whites very successfully?

Why not freeze half then make chocolate maccaroons with the other half, but we sandwich them with nutella or melted chocolate.

meltedmarsbars Thu 01-Oct-09 14:30:36

So what did you make that needed 8 yolks?

lucysmam Fri 02-Oct-09 12:04:07

I tried some home made ice cream as my other half was given 2litres of fresh cream by a restaurant owner he knows but that didn't work out & left me stuck with just the whites & couldn't think of anything inspiring to do with them.

I went with meringue shapey things which are now frozen & will be made into pud of some description on Sunday

meltedmarsbars Fri 02-Oct-09 12:58:44

We are having eton mess tonight - fresh autumn rasps from allotment, cream and meringues.

- thats if I get back in time from takiing dd2 to respite!

Otherwise my dear friend who is having (illegally probably now) my other kids will feed them before I get there!

silverwoodhelpdesk Wed 07-Oct-09 15:03:56

Pavlova.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now