Talk

Advanced search

I want to do a sort of Beef Wellington Individual Steak thing

(5 Posts)
hobbgoblin Thu 01-Oct-09 11:24:31

I am going to use Steaks and was going to use just pate and mushrooms as normal but now want to incorporate Horesradish. So, would you omit the pate and do with just Horseradish or would you combine pate and HR and mushrooms or could I make some kind of Horseradish and creme fraiche or somesuch combo?

Some of my ideas work, but don't know til you try - I can't predicy which flavours go til I do it iyswim. Haven't time to mess this one up.

MrsBadger Thu 01-Oct-09 11:41:53

I'd do mushrooms only and serve horseradish in creme fraiche on the side

NB check ratio of meat to pastry - individual wellingtons often have too much pastry as it's all round rather than just a ring, iyswim

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 01-Oct-09 11:59:18

Why do you want to incorporate horseradish? It's a very strong flavour and not everyone likes it!

I agree with MrsBadger, especially if you don't want to mess this up. Go with the classic.

And another tip. make sure that your baking tray is really hot when you put the pastry on it, so that it crisps up on the bottom as well as on the top/sides.

hobbgoblin Fri 02-Oct-09 10:32:38

Well, has been made and eaten! I took your advice and served Horseradish separately rather than trying to complicate things.

Oh my goodness! They were lovely. Was the first time I'd attempted to make BW and will do so again next time I can afford fillet steaks!

Thanks for advice - especially for avoiding soggy pastry.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 02-Oct-09 19:49:10

Good!

One of my favourite things to eat, actually! Did you save me one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now