Talk

Advanced search

I've got a butternut squash and want to make some soup.....

(14 Posts)
ilovespinach Thu 01-Oct-09 10:48:07

Thinking of softening some onions in a little bit of butter, adding the squash and then some veg stock. Not sure though as I've never tried or cooked butternut squash before....Do you think I could add some pearl barley to it? I've also got some frozen herbs.....

If the soup doesn't work out, I'm just going to eat the nut bread )))

thanks

Blackduck Thu 01-Oct-09 10:49:53

I wouldn't add pearl barley....but thats because I would puree it. It is nicer if you can be bothered to roast the squash first and then add to the onions and some herbs (bit of chilli is nice if you like it spicy).

ADifferentMe Thu 01-Oct-09 10:53:29

Red chilis and coconut milk a nice addition - makes it even richer though.

JackBauer Thu 01-Oct-09 10:54:12

I roast ti first as well, with the skin on as that is edible and I can never be bothered to peel itgrin
Then sweat onions, add squash and stock for a bit and blend. Never add anything else.

ilovespinach Thu 01-Oct-09 10:54:20

am roasting some sweet pots for ds2 so I will chuck the squash in too ...thanks for the tip

overmydeadbody Thu 01-Oct-09 10:56:20

Don't put pearl barley in it if you are going to blend it, you'll have a glutinous mess.

I'd add some garlic with the onions and just peel and cube he squash and add it with nice stock or even just water and salt and pepper.

Yum.

overmydeadbody Thu 01-Oct-09 10:57:30

yes if the oven's on chuck it in!

Then you can just scoop the cooked flesh away from the skin and add to soup stock.

Sunshinemambo Thu 01-Oct-09 10:59:52

Cumin would be a nice addition too.

JulesJules Thu 01-Oct-09 11:02:16

I'm just about to make soup with some butternut squash too! I'm going to chop it in chunks, with some sweet potatoes and carrots and one potato (to thicken it), add to some fried onion and garlic with some ground cumin and coriander which give it a nice warm fragrant spiciness without too much heat (DDs don't like it too hot). Add veggie stock, cook until all soft and blend using a stick blender until rough slightly bitty consistency (not too smooth).

I wouldn't use the barley, personally, either. I would chuck in the herbs and any other odds and ends of veg you have which need using up.

Nut bread sounds good too!

ilovespinach Thu 01-Oct-09 12:44:27

thanks - roasted it and then made just like Jules... Was surprised by the sweet flavour but it was delish and I will be making again...

meltedmarsbars Thu 01-Oct-09 14:24:24

Thyme goes well in buttenut soup.

rachels103 Thu 01-Oct-09 14:29:01

It's really really nice with some red peppers too - softened with the onion and all whizzed up together at the end.

AvengingGerbil Thu 01-Oct-09 14:30:59

I like to make it half carrot half squash and just use fresh garlic and ginger for flavouring.

penona Thu 01-Oct-09 14:47:53

I make it by roasting squash first, then sweat onions, carrots, add in the squash and dried cumin, coriander and some dried red chilli and veg stock. Let it simmer till quite smooth, then add more stock and some chopped dried spaghetti and cook for 15 mins. It makes a v filling tasty soup - good for kids if yo go easy on the chilli. I think it's a Gordon Ramsay one, found it in a paper ages ago. Mmm. Might have to make it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now