Talk

Advanced search

Dried mushrooms really rubbery in chicken dish

(7 Posts)
bacon Wed 30-Sep-09 20:29:02

Trust me, had to copy the receipe on Masterchef last night and made chicken in morels however obv. couldnt find any morels nor the dried ones (extremely expensive) so used mixed dried mushrooms by Merchant Gourmet. Followed a receipe on the net but the mushrooms were so rubbery and spolit the dish. What have I done wrong or should they be chopped tiny? The sauce mixed well with the rice but the muchrooms..ummm. yuk!

HuwEdwards Wed 30-Sep-09 20:30:51

Did you soak the mushrooms in boiling water first?

LadyFoof Wed 30-Sep-09 20:32:41

Even when you soak them, some dried mushrooms can still be rubbery I've found. It's a matter of trial and error I'm afraid!

bacon Wed 30-Sep-09 20:38:50

Yep, I soaked them and let them dry. Perhaps not dry enough? I have used them before in bolognaise but chopped them tiny to make the sauce more robust.
LadyFoof are you saying that I should purchase better quality perhaps over the net?

LadyFoof Wed 30-Sep-09 20:45:19

Not necessarily more expensive, it's just that the dried ones are very variable! Fresh is so much better, cheap fresh mushrooms taste better than rubbery dried ones. Maybe if you want to oomph it up, get some truffle oil - expensive, but will keep for ages & you can add it to pasta dishes to pep them up too.

fishie Wed 30-Sep-09 20:48:43

i have just cleared out kitchen cupboards and thrown away all the many dried mushrooms i have gathered. what a relief. they are shit, like eating vegetable cartilage.

moomaa Wed 30-Sep-09 21:14:36

This has happened to me, I find it's better if you don't soak them for too long (I normally do 20 - 30 mins max with water just under boiling point)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now