Talk

Advanced search

What type of lentils do you make your dhal with?

(32 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 11:54:44

I have tried red and split peas but now I'm on to whole green or brown masoor dhal for my tarka dhal.

What do you use?

sazlocks Mon 28-Sep-09 12:02:27

mmmmmmm dhal - my fave.
I use red lentils.

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 12:08:24

I'm not keen on their texture - a bit grainy, I prefer the smoothness of whole lentils.

In fact, I've got some in the fridge for my lunch later...

sazlocks Mon 28-Sep-09 12:09:16

envy smile

norktasticninja Mon 28-Sep-09 12:18:50

I use the red ones, if it's grainy you probably need to cook them longer. I usually boil them for ages before I make the dhal and have never had any graininess. 'tis lovely with the tinned brown ones too though.

phatcat Mon 28-Sep-09 12:23:55

channa dhal - look like yellow split peas, but taste much nicer

Essie3 Mon 28-Sep-09 12:30:20

Ah, channa dhal - is that the yellowy lentil that I get in my lovely dhal from the takeaway in Tooting? My homemade dhal is never as good as theirs. sad

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 12:35:52

Mine's getting better [smug emoticon] smile

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 13:59:56

Yum, just had lunch: TWO bowls!

smile

Spidermama Mon 28-Sep-09 14:02:55

Channa means chick peas doesn't it?

Tooting is indeed THE place for curry. I just love the smell walking down Tooting High Street in the evening.

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 14:03:41

My house/breath smells like that at the mo! grin

CakeForBreakfast Mon 28-Sep-09 15:02:34

My current favourite is yellow split mung. Soooo tasty, cooks quick and the whole family likes!

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Mon 28-Sep-09 15:14:12

Yellow split peas here. Made it with red lentils first but I like a bit of bite rather than mush.

Prefer chickpea dhal dahl ffs, however you spell it - though

ChopsTheDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 15:14:13

should really be yellow split peas for a proper tarka dhal.

I make all sort though. If they are grainy you just need to soak/cook them for longer.

rajma(kidney beans), channa (chickpeas), and mung are favourites in our house. And kala chana, but that goes in round crispy pani puris with liquid, etc.

I'm hungry now!

ChopsTheDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 15:16:01

the green split pea I use to make kitchuri. Green and yellow split peas, rice, asafetida,ghee and salt.

hullygully Mon 28-Sep-09 15:18:04

Recipes please

janeite Mon 28-Sep-09 18:40:34

Recipe for a yellow split pea dahl please?

janeite Mon 28-Sep-09 18:41:02

God I love pani puris.

phatcat Mon 28-Sep-09 22:20:23

good point - channa is indeed chickpeas, but my packet of 'Chana dal' (East End brand, only one 'n'!) is definitely like yellow split peas. Ah Tooting High Street, happy days - Kastoori anyone? Bel puris I remember - thin thin shells with a sour tamarind sauce and rice krispie thingies inside, man oh man ....

MagNacarta Mon 28-Sep-09 22:23:16

Come on ladies - recipes please, have never made dahl but this thread has made me want to sooooo much.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 29-Sep-09 09:48:14

Yellow split pea curry

Pre wash dal, pick out stones, soak overnight. Rinse well again before cooking.

fry large onion for a few minutes, til soft, add masala -
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
And garlic to taste, I use 4-5 cloves.

Then stir in cup of dal, tomatoes, 2 whole green chillis (pierced), and about 6 cups of water. Boil til tender and smooth.

TARKA:
heat some oil, fry torn curry leaves, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds (optional, depends how much jeera you like in the curry). Pour over the cooked curry, cover, and cook for few mins.

Black Lentils

This is a real favourite with the kids. I can eat this til it is coming out of my ears, as it is so creamy.

250g urad dal
2 med onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp grated giner
1tsp mustard seeds
75ml greek yoghurt
1 tsp red chilli powder
salt
2 tsp dania-jeera (cumin and coriander)
1/4 tsp asafetida

heat oil, fry the onion, then add ginger, then add garlic. Add dal, chilli and dania-jeera, salt then simmer with lots of water until dal softens well. Water should be reduced by time finished.
Heat asafetida in oil, stir this into the dal. Check for salt.
I then like to leave it to cool down a little, and stir in the yoghurt before serving. This stops the yoghurt from seperating and gives it a lovely creamy texture.

Rajmah
1 cup kidney beans
1 red onion
1 large tomato
tbsp ginger
4 garlic
1 green chilli (omit this if you prefer milder curry)
1tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1tsp garamasala
fresh coriander for garnish

If not using tinned rajmah, precook this.

Fry onions and finely chopped chilli, then add ginger, then add garlic. Add tomato add whole spices, fry 2-3 mins, add water to make thick gracy, add beans, cook for 5-7 mins, serve with coriander.

Just found a nice benglai chickpea recipe too (I have folder full of cuttings and scribbled down recipes) Ilvoe the aromatic flavours of bengali food, and serve this as a side dish with bengali fish stew.

2 pints water
9oz channa
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
tsp garamasala
2-3 tsp sugar (if you have jaggery, this is best)
2tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
5 cardomon pods
twp of cumin seeds
5 cloves garlic
1 med onion
1-2 red chillis
2 bay leaves
3 heaped tbsp grated coconut (ideally fresh not dessicated, I keep fresh in the freezer and defrost small amounts when needed)

Same method as above for the rajmah. I use tinned channa, so the channa and coconut goes in at the same time.

Mung dal

Has a fairly strong flavour and we cook it very simply with dania-jeera, ginger, salt, chopped tomatoes and chilli. Then tarka cumin seeds in oil, and pour this in, serve with fresh coriander.

I have a craving for pani puri now.

Essie3 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:52:14

Yes, recipes - especially if you've ever worked in one of the kitchens in Tooting! grin Seriously, any authentic Asian recipes? I just love family recipes with a bit of history.
Spidermama - I don't live in Tooting all the time, just sometimes (long story...) but when I'm there, I never, ever make curry! But I'm not there at the moment, and I seriously crave Tarka Dhal...

I think channa = chickpeas. I get a lovely channa masala in Tooting and it's a chickpea curry.

I am so going to make dhal tonight!

VulgarAchesButCanRun5k Tue 29-Sep-09 09:54:38

Thanks for these Chops - they all sound delish.

so glad I clicked on this thread right now! smile

yum! yum!

Essie3 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:55:50

X-posted, sorry!
And Bel puri, yes, yes!

hullygully Tue 29-Sep-09 09:59:12

Thank you, chops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now