Talk

Advanced search

Is this a vegetable marrow, a courgette or ??

(9 Posts)
suiledonn Mon 28-Sep-09 11:07:44

My dad gave me a selection of veg he grew yesterday. One of them is the same colour and looks like a courgette but it is round like a ball rather than long like a cucumber.

He has forgotten what it is smile

Whatever it is I presume I can use it for vegetable soup. What else could I cook with it?

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 11:16:47

Gem Squash? About the size of a cricket ball?

Delicious. The skin can be very hard though. Easiest way to cook it is to Piece through a few times (otherwise it will explode) and then boil until when you get the skewer through the skin (which can remain hard0, the flesh inside is soft. Then cut in half, scoop out the seeds and serve with some butter and salt.

You can also add any combo of cheese, sweetcorn etc which make them nice as well.

I love gem squash. Youcan't buy them in England normally.

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 11:17:09

Oh god. Sorry. That's "pierce through the skin a few times"...

Snowtiger Mon 28-Sep-09 11:19:48

Sounds like a squash to me. Peel it with a potato peeler and roast or boil it, or chop into cubes and make soup / risotto with it. Yum!

suiledonn Mon 28-Sep-09 11:20:37

Much bigger than a cricket ball. About the size of my 3 year old's head grin

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 11:25:42

Right then....

Go to plan B - my fall back for all types of squash is to cut them into chunks (leave the skin on - you can always eat around it if it turns out to be hard) and roast with some olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Delicious.

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 11:26:33

They are also always good in stews and curries - just cut into chunks (peeled for this) and toss in about 25 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Doesn't matter what kind of squash, will still be delicious.

suiledonn Mon 28-Sep-09 11:28:48

Thanks Bling. I think I will try the roasting option. I love roast veg. Must remind dad to keep a record of what goes where in the garden. He produces a mystery vegetable every summer.

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 11:56:37

If your dad does a selection of squashes, roast a whole lot together. It looks very pretty with all the different colours and textures. Makes a great side dish at a bbq or as a main served with couscous that's flavoured with a few herbs - I like parsely and mint but whatever you prefer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now