Advanced search

trying to copy M&S sri lankan curry - need recipe!

(11 Posts)
longingforsleep Sun 27-Sep-09 19:44:33

Hi there

DH and I have enjoyed a couple of the new 1-2-3 M&S curries recently (the prawn version with veg/chickpeas and the Sri Lankan curry sauce).

It's delicious, but in these credit crunch times I feel a bit guilty and think I should try to make it myself. Can't find a suitable recipe - can anyone help?

Thanks, in advance.

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Sun 27-Sep-09 21:49:02

I haven't tried it - Is it coconut-y??

Would a red or green thai curry recipe come close?

longingforsleep Mon 28-Sep-09 12:34:40

Hi SNAH. Sorry, got no responses so gave up last night!

In answer to your question, no, it's not very coconuty really. Not sure what makes it authentically sri-lankan. It's very tasty whatever it is!

Any other ideas?

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Mon 28-Sep-09 15:36:28

Seasoned Pioneers do a Sri Lankan Curry Powder if that helps smile

JeminTheDungeon Mon 28-Sep-09 15:37:59

Have you had a quick look at the ingredients? Might give you an idea of what to look for in a recipe.

indy1978 Mon 04-Sep-17 10:18:56

I havent tried M&S's version but I get my Sri Lankan Curry Powder from an online store called

friedeggsand Tue 05-Sep-17 04:12:06

Rick stein does a great Sri Lankan curry (and recipe for the curry powder you need) - will try and find a link

friedeggsand Tue 05-Sep-17 04:17:02

This is with turkey but looks virtually the same as the chicken version which doesn't seem to be online but is in the far eastern odyssey book of ricks

It's lovely and quite distinctive - well worth the effort

coconutwater1 Tue 05-Sep-17 04:35:59

You will find plenty of recipes on line, but really the processed currys from dear M&S are really not going to be tasting like a proper one.

They are very generic made for the Western palate.

But do have a look at Keith Floyd on you tube as well as Rick Stein, both guys do a decent curry.

MissBabbs Tue 05-Sep-17 05:10:37

I thought this was a Sri Lankan curry but it doesn't call it that. Maybe you could adapt it anyway -

paradoxicalInterruption Tue 05-Sep-17 12:58:01

These get some stick in the comments section - but I thought they sounded lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now