Talk

Advanced search

how do you cook savoy cabbage?

(17 Posts)
pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 17:44:05

Help. I think I'm doing it wrong. How do you cook it as a veg on the side?

bigTillyMint Sun 27-Sep-09 17:45:42

I do it thinly sliced and lightly steamed, or sometimes stir-fried with bits of bacon.

MrsCurly Sun 27-Sep-09 17:47:14

I slice it and then put it in a pan with butter and cover for ten mins. Or same but with chopped bacon.

popsycal Sun 27-Sep-09 17:49:34

big frying pan
tbspoons water
steam
add pre coooked bacon bit then splash of double cream
mmmmmmm

CNyle Sun 27-Sep-09 17:50:38

stir fry
veg oil

wonderingwondering Sun 27-Sep-09 17:51:50

Slice the leaves thinly, removing the middle stalky bits. Then pour boiling water over, cover and simmer for 8 mins.

What do you do to yours, OP smile?

sarah293 Sun 27-Sep-09 17:51:51

Message withdrawn

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 27-Sep-09 17:51:54

I make a stuffed cabbage dish:

Carefully peel the leaves off the cabbage, and then cut the thick stem out of the leaf.

Blanch in boiling water for a couple of minutes, then drain.

I make a mixture of diced pork (a couple of pork chops works well), diced onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms - basically whatever veg you like/have to hand) all fried till soft. Season well.

Then place a good spoonful of the filling on a leaf and roll the leaf around it. Put the cabbage roll seam side down into a casserole dish. Then cover in cheese sauce and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

mazzystartled Sun 27-Sep-09 17:51:56

stir fry with cumin seeds
or chop up with finely sliced leeks and julienned carrot, dollop of butter and cream, salt and pepper, bake in oven

janeite Sun 27-Sep-09 17:52:16

Just a bit of water and a bit of butter and cook for a few minutes, then add lots of black pepper. It is the king of vege. V good stir fried in a Thai-style curry too.

wonderingwondering Sun 27-Sep-09 17:53:43

But, if you boil it, you have to give it a bit of a squeeze after draining it otherwise it is very soggy. Then leave the lid off for a minute or two while the extra water evaporates.

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 18:24:33

ok. Thanks. I see where I went a bit wrong.

I didn';t take out that corey bit and it was a little tough. I think some water in there with the butter would have helped it soften. I was adding more and more butter, as if I were a hairy biker.

It was alright.

Stayingsunnygirl Sun 27-Sep-09 18:26:05

Finely shred the cabbage and put in a saucepan with about 2cm of water in the bottom. Add a dollop of butter and freshly grated nutmeg, put a lid on the pan, and steam until the butter is melted.

MorocconOil Sun 27-Sep-09 18:28:11

I stir a bit of crunchy peanut butter into it after steaming.

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 27-Sep-09 18:33:19

You can shred it reeeaaalllyyy finely and stir fry it with garlic. Do it in a wok, put the lid on to steam it for a minute a two after stirfrying. Its gorgeous. My Brazilian bil did it for us with roast pork. Can't tell you how nice it is.

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 18:35:41

I should've shredded it finer too

CheeeseOnToast Fri 02-Oct-09 10:14:46

I had a big bowl of steamed cabbage - on its own - for dinner last night <wierdy eater emoticon>

I shredded five big leaves really finely, taking out the hard core bit, and steamed for about 8 mins. popped a big reasonably sized knob of butter in, good sprinkle of salt and black pepper... and it was delicious.

I'm very tempted to try that garlic version a la bibbity's BIL, sounds gorgeous. might do that wih chilli and bacon for my lunch today blush grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now