Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone remember sponge cake with jam and coconut shavings on top? I need a recipe please!

(14 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 16:23:23

You know, the one from school, with really thick custard? I am having a craving grin

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 16:26:57

Wasn't it just a victoria sponge recipe with jam in the middle and coconut shavings on top? I don't remember it being anything more fancy than that.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:01:08

Was it? I guess it must be my memory as I tried making a victoria sponge and doing just that, but I guess my victoria sponges were just made too well? I recall it being a bit more stodgy than victoria...

bran Sun 27-Sep-09 20:03:06

Perhaps it was a steamed sponge if you remember it being stodgy. Sounds vile to me, but each to their own. grin I have fond memories of rice pudding served piping hot with a slice of ice-cream on top.

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:07:18

Pavlov, perhaps your Vic sponge was either too good, or too fresh - certainly from the sponge I remember from my school age and general crapness was definitely a factor!

Bran you were lucky, we had a dollop of cheap watery jam on our cheap watery rice pudding. Vile.

OmicronPersei8 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:09:41

Oh, yes, with the custard. Mmmmmmmm I'd forgotten about cake/jam/coconut combination. yum yum. <<wanders off to look in kitchen cupboards>>

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:17:40

for added authenticity it needs to be cut in to squares, not your typical cake slices... and served in a white melamine bowl

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:23:28

bran - yes, it was I am sure, vile, but for some reason this pg has brought out school pudding cravings - this sponge, prunes and custard, bananas and custard,chocolate semolina grin oh yes, arctic role and hot custard!

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:24:59

Now banana and custard I can relate to.. I offered dh a bowl of custard with sliced bananas in and he looked totally disgusted at me, but then he went to a posh private school, he probably had millefeuille and summer berries for pudding every day

Bananas and custard are absolutely marvellous for stopping heartburn.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:25:25

headfairy - yes, must be squares. that is essential in the tasting of it. I shall remember to leave the sponge out in the air for a few hours next time grin

yes, watery rice pudding, BUT my mum did the best rice pudding with home made jam. She would cook it with the roast, put it on the bottom of the oven and take it out to cool a little while we ate, then cleared the table. YUM!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:26:16

does it headfairy - i have been in need of some heartburn cures...<adds to the list> grin

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:41:32

Oh yes, slips down the throat a treat and calms it all down.

Celia2 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:49:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 20:51:43

I am suspecting it might be as headfairy said - needs to be left a couple of days first, to 'harden' a little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now