Talk

Advanced search

Defrosting Fruit Cake.

(5 Posts)
Kayzr Sun 27-Sep-09 15:43:33

I made too much fruit cake for DS2's christening so I froze what was left with the plan to use it for christmas cake.

When should I get it out to defrost? Is there anything I should do to the cake once it is defrosted?

Thanks.

Kayzr Mon 28-Sep-09 09:31:18

Anyone?

mathanxiety Mon 28-Sep-09 17:44:57

Did you cut the cake into quarters or other pieces before freezing? Or is it in one big chunk? How much is there? I haven't ever defrosted more than a quarter cake at a time; I left it out for a few days just to be sure it wasn't frozen in the middle, and sprinkled it with brandy for moistness (it was not iced). Last cake I made, I poured sprinkled brandy over it and kept it in a tin for half a year without freezing.

Kayzr Mon 28-Sep-09 18:06:07

It's in 2 pieces. It was a 10 inch square cake and I'd say there was about half left.

I need to take the old icing off don't I?

mathanxiety Mon 28-Sep-09 19:10:07

I've always erred on the safe side with icing, and anyway I find it gets really hard and even a bit yellow with storage, so I usually eat it remove it before long storage and then redo it when the cake is to be served again. That way, the whole cake can be covered with icing, even the cut side, and it looks like a new cake. I should have said that I kept the cake pieces wrapped in greaseproof paper while defrosting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now