Talk

Advanced search

Highly calorific yet healthy food/recipes needed please!

(28 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 13:36:27

That is not a common ask is it?

I have lost a bit of weight this pg (now almost 33wks) and need to increase my energy levels and fat stores for these next few weeks when baby will be doing lots of weight gain and for the birth, and immediately after. I cannot eat humungous amounts in one go otherwise it does not stay down. I am not hugely big on sweet food although trifle is a hit!

I do not like most red meat, although during this pg I am eating a bit of pork, but eat fish, eggs, chicken etc. Nuts - i can eat a little, but find they clog me a bit and threaten to make the return journey if I eat too many.

Any great recipes for both whole dinners and also for snacking would be great.

smile thanks all!

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 13:41:20

I hate drinking milk and when I was pg knew that I wasn't eating enough and it was suggested I drank milk - so I put camp coffee in the milk and was drinking 4 pints a day.

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 13:43:25

granola - breakfast stuff good for you but high in calories

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 13:44:29

Peanut butter and banana sandwich? not sure if you can eat peanut butter when pg?

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 13:45:27

Or nuttella and banana sandwich - that would be around 800 calories

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 13:50:30

I am eating peanut butter, that sounds lovely in fact!

I could have peanut butter and banana sarnie, with a glass of whole milk - that would make a great breakfast! grin.

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 13:59:35

dryed fruit - prunes, apricots and rasins. All high in calories and an excellent way of making sure you go.

Pick unsulphered apricots as they are much nicer than the apricots with sulpher pumped in them to turn the apricot orange.

Make a compote with apricots and serve with eggy bread and yogurt

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 14:05:56

Oh are they? Great, i love them. I like the idea of a compote! I can do this now I am on leave from work! We shall all be eating healthy (DH can have less calories though, he shall forgo the eggy bread!)

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 14:06:29

Oooooh prunes and custard, I have been fancying that for a little while now...grin

TanteRose Sun 27-Sep-09 14:10:13

avocados have lots of calories - very healthy too.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Sep-09 14:12:12

Avocados on my list - but that was about all. I figured I could live on them alone! I love them though!

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:14:11

Have a go at making your own custard - yummy

bread dipped in basamic vinegar and olive oil, as a snack before dinnersmile

penona Mon 28-Sep-09 14:35:57

I had to try and put weight on when I was PG after suffering hideous morning sickness until about 24 weeks. I had loads of food aversions, but did enjoy Soreen malt loaf with butter (or any sort of fruit cake) with a very mild decaff whole milk latte. (I would heat the milk up and make it myself!) I could eat cheese quite well, avocados, dried fruit and some nuts (as above) and would snack on muesli bars (sugar free ones combined with honey were nice and not too sweet).

Oh, and one last tip, don't carry on eating like this after you have given up breastfeeding as you might discover an extra 10lbs sitting round your hips that is impossible to shift wink

giantkatestacks Mon 28-Sep-09 14:41:16

I like dauphinois potatoes (cream, whole milk and cheese) yum...

and a fry-up for lunch sometimes - also shallow fried mozzarella sandwiches (they have a proper italian name but I cant remember it)...

Any form of roasted sweet potato or butternut squash as well...

Jacket potatoes with philadelphia and avocado - 8 mins in the microwave...

[racks brain some more]

BlingLoving Mon 28-Sep-09 17:07:43

Pasta with a generous portion of pesto and topped with roasted tomatoes in generous amounts of olive oil and lots of avocado. If you're eating feta/goats cheese, top with that.

Coconut milk/cream dishes could work. What about curries (vegetarian if you can't face meat but otherwise with some chicken), served with rice etc?

Ditto, I do a great butternut soup with butternut, carrots, coconut milk and butter beans. Let me know if you want a recipe - the beans and coconut milk definitely add to the calories which is why I don't make it very often any more! sad

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:24:28

ooooooh dauphinoise potatoes...we have that sometimes with roast chicken and salad. I could have some avocado with it grin.

Oh, see now I am feeling hungry...I a, having vegetable stew, with lentils, and a large chunk of bread - leftovers from yesterday, which was followed by apple crumble and custard!

I am going shopping tomorrow, so some all of these recipes and suggestions will be on my list.

penona - I would say I agree about not eating like this after stopping breastfeeding but last baby I had, I never put any weight on afterwards although I did eat a bit too healthily for a while, maybe I will be lucky again ? grin

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:25:14

blinloving now that is one of my favourite foods actually, pasta, pesto, tomatoes, cheese. Oh maybe I will have that tonight instead!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:26:29

Croque monsiuer? with ham and cheese giantkatestacks?

colditz Mon 28-Sep-09 18:35:54

guacamole with tortilla chips - park arse in front of tv. Chip and dip as required.

giantkatestacks Mon 28-Sep-09 18:36:02

mmm am having lamb burgers and homemade chips for dinner myself...veggie stew with lentils and bread isnt exactly loaded with calories is it? can you make it into a curry and bung coconut milk in? That would help...

Its best to really try and eat like this otherwise your dr will recommend some calorie shakes and they really are grim - especially the banana ones [boak]

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:40:06

I thought lentils had calories in? How about if I add some pasta? Will that be better? How about if I make it into pasta sauce and add some cheese?

silverfrog Mon 28-Sep-09 18:46:16

if you like avocado - one of the most calorific things I used to give dd2 when she was a baby was avocado and banana mashed up together, with a spoonful of yoghurt (natural) and a couple of spoons of ground almonds in.

chock full of calories, and surprisingly palatable (and I am not an avocado fan at all!)

another thing I use a lot (dd2 was a FTT baby, so lots of calorie-laden foods going on here!) is coconut oil see here - it is delicious on rasin bread etc, or on toast instead of butter - makes a nice change. you can also cook with it, so stir fries or curries can have a nice twist. adds a few more calories to things you might eat anyway

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:47:21

Tomorrow i shall be buying:
avocados by the bucket load for various
chips for dipping (i love guacamole)
cream for dauphinoise potatoes
cereal bars
dried fruit
stuff to make a coconut curry
More pasta
More cheese
More bananas

Keep em coming!

Anyone know where I can buy full fat yoghurt - they are difficult to get these days aren't they?

How about hummus? is that high in calories? I had that with falafel for lunch in a baguette.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 28-Sep-09 18:49:08

silverfrog a mother of an old boyfriend of mine used to put coconut oil on her skin before baking herself for hours in the sun shock used to make her go really dark. She cared not about the dangers. I wonder if I could eat it without thinking of her dark rubbery skin grin

silverfrog Mon 28-Sep-09 19:16:10

can see why that might put you off grin but it is delicious (and is highly effective as a moisturiser too! can use it for just about anything...)

yeo valley yoghurts are full fat, I think - the big pots of natural yoghurt are anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now