Talk

Advanced search

Sugar in babyfood

(12 Posts)
chipmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 12:27:57

Got a free sample of babyfood from heinz and was shocked to see sugar high up in the list of ingredients. I'm really shocked, its supposed to be suitable from 4 months! ( Yes, I know, hunkermunker, thats a whole other debate)

hunkermunker Tue 07-Jun-05 12:30:32

DS only rarely has sugar even now (he's 14mo) - I don't want to give him a taste for it. He adores natural yoghurt and I loathe the "Petit Filous brigade" who think that because it has a picture of a raspberry on the front it's good for babies (also "suitable" for babies from four months).

Flossam Tue 07-Jun-05 12:33:04

I've found yoghurts by Little Racheal. They are organic, and sweetened with fruit juice. No sugar. They are in Sainsburys.

hotmama1 Tue 07-Jun-05 12:35:37

I was shocked when I looked at the samples in the weaning bounty pack when I saw some of the samples contained sugar. The jars seem to be O.K but packets of dried stuff do seem to have sugar in - I was/am so surprised.

Rachel Organics do childrens yogurts that are sweetened with fruit purees and no sugar stuff etc.

hotmama1 Tue 07-Jun-05 12:36:35

crossed posts/great minds and all that! ]smile]

hunkermunker Tue 07-Jun-05 12:36:42

I just find it odd that people are SO careful about salt and not bothered by sugar.

Obviously salt's not something you want to give to a baby in any quantity, but surely sugar's not ideal for a child either?!

hotmama1 Tue 07-Jun-05 12:40:02

I so agree with you hunkermunker. I try to give the best to dd - call me a bit obsessive if you want but she only has organic - it's my job to try and give her the best start. Hope I won't be posting in 2 years time that dd will only eat turkey twizzlers and angel delight!

Flossam Tue 07-Jun-05 12:40:27

chipmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 13:03:09

It seems that just because its called "babyfood" doesn't mean its suitable for babies! I threw the sample in the bin. Am hoping that ds3 will just have homemade food but if I do cave in I won't be feeding him that rubbish!

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 13:08:14

yes, virtually all puddings and a lot of breakfast cereals contain sugar. Totally unnecessary imho.
You don't need to buy fruit yoghurts at all - plain or greek with mashed or chopped fruit will do (I also find that pots of apple puree added to plain yoghurt go down well with ds1 aged 3.5!)

beansmum Tue 07-Jun-05 13:16:04

when I have run out of fruit, or can't be bothered, I mix a spoonful of sugar free jam (sweetened with grape juice) with greek yog.

I don't understand why they put sugar in baby food, the babies would be quite happy without it.

oliveoil Tue 07-Jun-05 13:17:45

Well I am one of the Petit Filous brigade and I don't see the harm if they have something occasionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now