Talk

Advanced search

Getting local food when you aren't local...

(13 Posts)
LissyGlitter Sat 26-Sep-09 17:07:43

I am having Preston food withdrawals, particularly for butter pie, potted shrimps and decent lancashire cheese. However, I am near Newcastle and too heavily pregnant to risk a long train journey purely for pie purposes. I have tried making it myself and it just isn't the same. There must be a website that can solve my problem!

madlentileater Sat 26-Sep-09 17:09:08

do you have Booths over there?
they would have decent Lancashire cheese, surely.

whinegums Sat 26-Sep-09 17:11:10

Surely Fenwick's food hall has cheese and potted shrimps? What is butter pie?

ProfYaffle Sat 26-Sep-09 17:15:49

I have no idea what butter pie is but I'm in Norfolk and can get hold of potted shrimps, decent Lancashire cheese, parkin, eccles cakes, the lot.

Have you got any 'foodie' type shops, delis, farm shops etc I find they tend to stock regional speciality food.

LissyGlitter Sat 26-Sep-09 17:26:40

No booths round here, it would seem to be a Northwest thing.

Butter pie is the food of the gods, but is only available in Preston. It is a pie (obviously) filled with potatoes, onion and butter. Pure comfort food. Some people like to slice off the top, fill it with grated cheese, then replace the top, so the cheese melts. It was invented so that the inhabitants of Preston had a pie they could eat on a Friday when meat was forbidden.

I have only looked at the exotic sweets in Fenwicks tbh, I hadn't thought of there, I will look next time I go. I tried Grainger market for potted shrimps and there was nothing doing.

Places round here only seem to stock one type of Lancashire cheese, the shop in Preston has about five or six, although I have a vague memory of "the lancashire bomb" (a strong, waxed ball) having a website on it so may try a bit of creative googling.

I may attempt to make Chorley cakes myself actually, they can't be that hard, they manage to make them in Chorley...

If I got my mum to do me a food parcel, how would she go about packaging things like pie and cheese so they didn't disintegrate?

LissyGlitter Sat 26-Sep-09 17:34:05

Ooh, you can buy grasmere gingerbread online! £5.95 P+P though, so I would have to buy quite a bit to make it worth it...

My mum is probably going to come up when I have the baby in about six weeks or so, I could demand she brings me a hamper of local food...

madlentileater Sat 26-Sep-09 17:42:13

have just googeled Singleton's and I can't see any mail order
but you could send them a desperate plea, they mqay take pity

Habbibu Sat 26-Sep-09 17:44:09

Chorley cakes easy and lovely. Mix currants with melted butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and maybe a bit of lemon zest. Roll out shortcrust pastry, and cut circles. Put a heaped teaspoon of currant mix on each circle, fold pastry over, turn over and roll with rolling pin until fruit shows through a bit. Brush with beaten egg white, sprinkle with sugar, and bake in hottish oven for 20 mins or so.

Habbibu Sat 26-Sep-09 17:45:19

And maybe try here for cheese?

HeadFairy Sat 26-Sep-09 17:45:22

I have no idea, however, if you're from Derbyshire and missing proper Bakewell tarts you can order them here. FIL lives in Buxton and we never fail to pick a few up on the way home

Sorry, that's ridiculously OT!

sunangel88 Sat 26-Sep-09 17:46:02

I crave rambutans and wild durians and they're thousands of miles away <sob>

HeadFairy Sat 26-Sep-09 18:56:42

I could never get over the smell of durians enough to actually eat them sunangel... isn't that why they're never exported? Just too smelly!

sunangel88 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:41:21

it's like cheese. Some people can't get over the smell of cheese... I'm quite sure it's cultural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now