Talk

Advanced search

eggs a month past their expiry date........

(19 Posts)
mum2samandalex Fri 25-Sep-09 19:01:16

can i still use them to make a cake ds wants to cook just realised they are out of date arrraggggh. Cracked one open and it doesnt smell but still unsure.....

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 25-Sep-09 19:08:46

I wouldn't if they're that old. I find seriously stale eggs make me feel ill even if they're not rotten as such.

DoNotPressTheRedButton Fri 25-Sep-09 19:09:42

I wuldnt a month on, no.

As a general tip though if eggs are say a few days past, pop one in a glass of water- if they float then they are bad.

MrsBlennerhasset Fri 25-Sep-09 19:10:45

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! FGS!!!!

bigTillyMint Fri 25-Sep-09 19:16:24

Even I wouldn't try them grin

duckyfuzz Fri 25-Sep-09 19:17:29

eeewwww no

and I eat pretty much anything past its sell by

nannyL Fri 25-Sep-09 23:29:41

i have used eggs in baking that far past their sell by date (kept in fridge) and they and the cakes have been fine...
(I always crack seperatley in a mug)

I cracked open an egg from waitrose a few weeks ago, 1 day past date and the contents was vile.... black runny liquid that smelt VILE.[vomit] Even when in date their is no way it would have been edible

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 25-Sep-09 23:30:53

If it doesn't smell and it doesn't float, it's fine.

We've eaten eggs older than that, with no ill-effects.

notcitrus Fri 25-Sep-09 23:34:36

Fine for cooking, rather bland if you just make an omelette/scrambled egg. Unless you're entering a cake contest!

MrsMagnolia Sun 27-Sep-09 19:37:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RacingSnake Sun 27-Sep-09 20:49:08

Yes, just use your common sense. Crack each one into a cup and smell it first. We keep chickens and occasionally find eggs hidden in corners. I always test them in that way and actually have never found a bad one, although sometimes they can be a bit dried up and the yolk sticks to the side of the shell. (Don't use those.)

bramblebooks Sun 27-Sep-09 22:15:08

blood egg, nanny L. Rare, but true. Boak.

Can we please have a boak emoticon, mn?

LynetteScavo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:19:36

I would say no.
DH and his friends ate some old eggs once (about 2 weeks out of date) and were really ill.

pooexplosions Mon 28-Sep-09 17:35:21

They are fine. People used to store eggs for months at a time, if they don't smell they are fine.
In fact a lot of grannies will tell you to always use old eggs for baking, supposed to gie you a better cake!

DorotheaPlenticlew Mon 28-Sep-09 17:36:58

grin at total lack of consensus

I wouldn't risk it.

shubiedoo Mon 28-Sep-09 17:37:56

Yes, do the float test. I did that just this past weekend with 2 eggs, one floated, one didn't--ds ate it and was fine!

Rindercella Mon 28-Sep-09 17:40:01

Definitely go by your sense of smell - tis the best judge of what's off or not.

<boooaaaakkkkk> at blood eggs. See that's (one of the many) the reason why I hate eggs - I was once told that they are effectively a chicken's 'period' and that's what I always think when I see/smell/eat them. Gah.

lavenderkate Mon 28-Sep-09 17:44:30

I have hens and I dont ever think about when they were laid.

Float them.

I read somewhere an American girl who found where one of her hens had been laying her eggs under some old corrugated sheet metal.There were hundreds of them so some must have been very old and they were in the desert. They ate the eggs just fine.

Rindercella. Blood in eggs means the hen got a fright when she laid it. Honest.

bramblebooks Tue 29-Sep-09 19:12:01

true. Or more aptly as it was being formed.
preen (has just got new baybee hens and they are freaking out the 'big girls'!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now