Talk

Advanced search

Lentil inspiration..

(10 Posts)
SheWillBeLoved Fri 25-Sep-09 13:27:38

I got some lentils in this weeks shop to maybe substitute meat in some meals. Never cooked with them before blush they always looked bland and boring, but I've heard you can do some lovely dishes with them so I thought I'd live a little grin

I only got split red lentils, and puy lentils for now. Didn't want to get all varieties in case they make me vom shock

Best recipes please?

LionstarBigPants Fri 25-Sep-09 13:34:49

Puy lentils and Halloumi cheese is a favourite here:

Fry up some veg cut up smallish e.g. onions, garlic, celery, peppers, mushrooms. Add 70g washed Puy lentils per person, cover with veggie stock (or water) and cook for about 30 minutes, until stock has been absorbed. Add seasoning to taste - chillies or cayenne pepper often used here.
When lentils almost ready cut Halloumi into chunks and fry in hot olive oil until browned.
Dress lentils with tablespoon of olive oil and one of balsamic vinegar, toss in cheese and serve with a yummy salad.

Delicious and very good for you.

With red lentils I do similar veg, throw in red lentils and a tin of chickpeas and stock + seasoning. Cook until lentils disintegrate and serve with quinoa or cous cous and grated cheese on top.

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Fri 25-Sep-09 16:15:20

If you like curries then try this Dhal Recipe. It is really tasty smile

Bucharest Fri 25-Sep-09 16:17:58

Red lentils, peanut butter and cheese burgers....
Make puree with lentils, onion, celery, carrot etc, mix in loads of cheddar and peanut butter, sqwodge into patties and if you can be arsed, roll in breadcrumbs before frying.....
Make hooooooge batch and freeze because they're fiddly and whole kitchen gets covered in gloop.
Delish though.

nigglewiggle Fri 25-Sep-09 16:25:51

I do a nice puy lentil and feta cheese salad.

Cook the lentils and rinse in cold water, meanwhile cook some green beans and blanche some diced carrot and celery. Mix together with lentils and add dressing of chopped chives and parseley, lemon juice and olive oil.

This keeps for quite a few days in the fridge and I add cubes of feta when I want to eat it. mmmmm

GrimmaTheNome Fri 25-Sep-09 16:30:36

red lentil soup (obvious but good) - onions, garlic, smoked bacon, (celery and carrot if you want), sweat or caramalise that lot then add lentils, tinned toms, water and herbs to taste.

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Sep-09 16:36:51

You want a nice Madhur Jaffrey cookbook, tons of lentil recipes.

There's also a nice Spanish recipe which is like Grimma's but with chorizo sausage instead of the bacon, and then paprika. Yummy.

And I've made this - [[http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/wildduckbreastswithp_89945.shtml duck breasts and puy lentils] I know he has a slightly funny smile but he's a good cook! In fact I think I might make that this weekend...

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Sep-09 16:37:25

Whoops duck here

janeite Fri 25-Sep-09 16:41:51

Nigella's veggie lentil chilli is good.

Lentil soup cooked with coconut milk is scrummy.

Puy lentils cooked in red wine and stock and mixed with roasted vege to use as a lasagne filling.

SheWillBeLoved Fri 25-Sep-09 16:47:46

Thanks everyone will try and work my way down the list of suggestions - all sound lovely, especially the dhal curry and duck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now