Talk

Advanced search

Basic sponge mix?

(5 Posts)
lilacclaire Thu 24-Sep-09 22:20:52

I've tried googling this and have seen recipies using loads of oil to soya milk to 6 eggs!!

I have self raising flour, sugar, egg and butter, is this enough to make a sponge cake? and if so what do I do!!

TIA

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Thu 24-Sep-09 22:32:47

If you mean a Victoria Sandwich sponge cake then you cant go wrong with this one. smile

Eyeballls Thu 24-Sep-09 22:33:33

I always use Delia; 6oz each of butter, flour and sugar and 3 eggs. Drop of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of baking powder if you have them but no biggy if not. Everyone comments on my sponge cakes which are the only thing I cook that come out well and with no pointy bits

Lilymaid Thu 24-Sep-09 22:47:01

If you have non standard sized eggs, you can weigh the eggs then add equal weights of sugar, margarine/butter and SR flour.
For a small sponge you use 2 eggs (and approx 4-5 oz flour/sugar/fat) in a 7" tin or 2 7" sandwich tins. The recipe linked to makes a fairly deep large cake.

Salsavita Thu 24-Sep-09 22:51:58

2 x 8oz tins to make say a victoria sandwhich you would need...

4 eggs
8oz caster sugar
8oz self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
8oz butter

Slap everything in one bowl ala Mary Berry stylee and whizz with the electric mixer. Split into the two greased lined tins, bung in the oven for 20 mins or so. Done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now