Talk

Advanced search

freezing sandwiches

(4 Posts)
RacingSnake Thu 24-Sep-09 21:43:11

Hi. Having just gone to school (as teacher) with no lunch again due to no time after taking care of DH and DD's needs, I remembered hearing about people making sandwiches and then freezing them. I thought of making some wholemeal bread rolls at the weekend and putting in fillings such as pate, sardines, egg, etc, to have a reasonably lasting and healthy lunch that I could just grab out of the freezer.

Has anyone done this? Which fillings work well?

Mummy369 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:25:59

Works great for us! We freeze most sandwich fillings - always make up fresh and freeze immediately. Previously tinned fish (tuna/sardines etc..) doesn't seem to defrost well and loses a lot of flavour (says DH). Hard cheeses and cold meats work well, salad not great - probably because of the high water content. For flavour, sauces such as branston, mustard etc.. seem ok. Most rolls and bread freeze and defrost well. We also use last night's leftovers - eg a bit of roast chicken. You can also get a decent lunch with rice/pasta/couscous but be careful what you add, though DH says sun-dried tomatoes work well.

I'm sure there will be lots of other ideas for you soon enough, hope this helps smile

Lilymaid Thu 24-Sep-09 22:59:15

As said below, meats, cheeses (including cream cheese, though not cottage cheese), pate, even hummus. Chutney and pickles will add flavour, but you can't successfully freeze/defrost salads.
Examples: chicken tikka pieces with mango chutney; ham with chutney or mustard (get "nice" ham of course); smoked salmon and cream cheese.

RacingSnake Fri 25-Sep-09 12:29:21

Mmmm ... sounds good. Will really try this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now