Talk

Advanced search

we need to eat more fish - recommendations please

(10 Posts)
candyfluff Thu 24-Sep-09 16:08:43

basically we rarely eat fish but we do all like it ,i need some tips and recipes for fish.
tia

BlingLoving Thu 24-Sep-09 16:22:09

We're the same. I've slowly been working on including it more in our diet.

Couple of easy things include:

Tinned tuna in baked potatoes with cream cheese, salt,pepper.
Grilled (I actually use my fabulous hot plate griddle thing) mackerel fillets - cheap as chips and super easy. Little olive oil, some lemon and some chilli flakes under a hot grill (or on hot griddle pan) for only a few minutes on each side and serve with salad and bread.

Salmon is always good (if pricey). Our current favourite way is to fry chunks of salmon in some sesame oil, then remove when browned. Then fry sliced onions, some garlic and some lemon grass until onion is soft and starting to brown. Throw in about 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar and mix it in then add 1 table spoon water, 2 tablespoons lime and 4 tablespoons soy sace (or more in the same ratios), let it bubble a bit and then put the salmon back in and serve with rice.

Salmon is also nice just plain pan friend with some spring onions and lime.

Grilled trout with lemon, oil and fennel seeds is surprisingly good and also very easy.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:23:16

My fav at the mo is pesto crusted fish, salmon is fab but you can use and white fish too. Even DH likes it and he doesn't like fish.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:24:17

Oh yeah I'm meant ot tell you how to make it {blush]

Couple of slices of bread put in food processor t make bread crumbs mix in a few spoons of pesto put on fish and bake in oven!

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:25:04

Oh and the basics fish ranges can be fine for this. Plus fish pie too.

rubyslippers Thu 24-Sep-09 16:26:34

you can get a fish pie mix from Sainsbos which is cod, smoked haddock and salmon - you can use it to make fish pie which is yum (£1.99 a pack IIRC)

also salmon or tuna fishcakes (tinned)

grate an onion
add the fish
an egg
breadcrumbs
and seasoning

roll into balls and shallow fry

they freeze very well

alternatively trout is lovely, mackrel (grilled or griddled)

GoldenSnitch Thu 24-Sep-09 16:35:44

My DH and DS have recently decided they love Kedgeree which has smoked haddock and prawns in it.

I made it once as I found some smoked Haddock in the freezer that i'd bought for another recipe and forgotten about. Now they ask for it every week!!

There are loads of variations on the recipe. I'd suggest doing a search and picking the one you like the sound of most. Ours misses out the cumin etc that most of them have cause I don't like Indian spices very much but each to thier own.

Salmon en papillote is also really easy (and sounds far more impressive than it is) Just put a Salmon fillet on a sheet of greaseproof paper, add some seasoning, wrap and bake in an oven at 200 degrees for about 20 mins.

I make a pile of cous cous (made with veg stock to add flavour), some halved cheery tomatoes, some sliced spring onions and a little garlic then plop the fish on top and wrap up and cook. I serve with some soy sauce and it's yummy. DS also loves eating out of the paper parcel which makes washing up super easy

meltedmarsbars Thu 24-Sep-09 16:41:14

Find a good fish-stall at a market (always freshest as usually bought from landing dock that morning)

buy this book by Colin Spencer

StirlingNeedsAHoliday Thu 24-Sep-09 17:13:46

We are having this Smoked Haddock Chowder tonight with lots of crusty bread and it is very tasty and, more importantly, the dc just love it smile

meltedmarsbars Fri 25-Sep-09 10:15:02

Monkfish kebabs: marinate chunks of monkfish and veg (eg red onion, courgette, mushroom) in lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and some marjoram/oregano for half an hour.

Skewer the chunks, alternating with a long strip of streaky bacon wound back and forth between the chunks.

Grill or oven bake 15 mins till done.

Mmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now