Talk

Advanced search

can you cook potatoes in a slow cooker for mash?

(5 Posts)
chuffinell Thu 24-Sep-09 10:17:53

Hi i am thinking of buying a smaller slow cooker so i can put spuds in, so we can have mash with the meal - rather than cooking chunks of potato in a stew

has anyone tried this? do i cover in water or just put a bit in to kind of steam them?

it wd be great to have potatoes ready cooked, and just mash them when i get in from work

has anyone tried this? would be grateful for ideas

bred Thu 24-Sep-09 10:24:14

Can't see why not.. I would cover with water. Is the rest of your meal cold?

I'm wondering why it wouldn't be as easy to leave them prepared in a pan of water until you are ready to cook them - whilst the rest of the meal cooks?

If the oven is on, have you thought about shoving them in there (in skins) then mashing? V easy method!

chuffinell Thu 24-Sep-09 10:29:05

i was thinking of the days i work later - i normally put dinner in the slow cooker so its ready to serve, i dont want to wait 20 minutes to boil potatoes then

i thought - if i had 2 slow cookers, the mashing wd take 2 minutes

bred Thu 24-Sep-09 14:55:05

Ahhh i see! Well if you have one I'd do a trial run before buying another!

Personally I would make a big batch in pan/ oven then freeze it . ... But I am lucky in having a large chest freezer. (if not a large chest lol )

overmydeadbody Thu 24-Sep-09 15:37:05

Not sure it's worth buying another slow cooker just for the sake of saving 20 minutes. You couls just as easily cook the potatoes i the morning for 20 minutes, then reheat and mash when you get home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now