Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Foolproof banana cake recipe please.....

(15 Posts)
herbgarden Thu 24-Sep-09 09:47:33

I made an old delia banana bread recipe yesterday and i'd forgotten that I've made it before and you could literally stop a tram with it - it's something like 4oz marg,3oz sugar, 8 oz plain flour, 1 egg and 4 bananas with some bicarb. It doesn't rise and the middle looks like it isn't cooked.

I used a 7inch ish loaf tin....

Any foolproof recipes to use up those old bananas !!....thank you !

crumpet Thu 24-Sep-09 09:50:56

Nigella does a great one in the domestic goddess - I leave out the nuts/rum etc, and never cook it for as long as she suggests, but it is always lovely.

bamboobutton Thu 24-Sep-09 09:54:58

i have one.

4 ripe bananananas
pinch salt
1tsp baking powder
1tsp cinanmon
1/4 tsp ginger
230g plain flour
30g natural bran(i didn't use this)
170g soft brown sugar
115g butter
2 eggs
150ml whipping cream

topping

350g philidelphia
3tbs syrup

method

mash bananas
sieve flour, salt, baking powder and spices into a lrge bowl.
add all other ingredients and whisk untill smooth.
put into a lined, greased 8" tin and bake for 50mins at gas4.

allow to cool in tin.

mix up topping ingredients and spread on top.

mmmm, yummy.

bamboobutton Thu 24-Sep-09 09:59:24

i also have an alternative topping.

225g philly
75g soft butter
175g icing sugar

put into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. spread over cake and chill(the cake, not yougrin)

timmette Thu 24-Sep-09 12:04:36

I do the nigella one also and it is always lovely.

purlease Thu 24-Sep-09 12:09:35

4oz butter
40z caster
(creamed)

2 eggs
(beaten in)

add mashed bananas

sift in 8 oz self raising flour (dd insists on substituting some of this with cocoa powder)

gas mark6 for 45 mins in a loaf tin

very easy

FaintlyMacabre Thu 24-Sep-09 12:12:15

The Nigella one is indeed lovely. It is even better with the rum, though I usually make it without.

One reason that your cake may have been heavy is that very ripe bananas are alkaline, which prevents the baking powder working properly. Maybe if the bananas are very brown add some extra raising agent? (Disclaimer, I haven't tried this, just read about it!)

PurpleEglu Thu 24-Sep-09 12:15:10

I do theo ne from the BeRo book.

3 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
8 oz SR flour
quarter t/spoon Bicarb

1lb of bananas weighed with skins on.

180c for 1hr 15 mins

Madetwo yesterday and they turned out beautifully

herbgarden Thu 24-Sep-09 20:31:06

Thanks everyone - funnily enough just discussing this in the park this afternoon ( oh yes my afternoons are fun-packed grin) and my friend suggested the nigella one.....

Luckily DS has been munching his way through the door stopping loaf on the kitchen side all day bless 'im.

Deemented Sat 26-Sep-09 12:49:59

purlease - thanks for that recipe - made it this morning and it's lovely!

purlease Sat 26-Sep-09 23:55:49

glad you liked it. What I like about it is its simplicity and that 4 year old dd can help make it.

mamadiva Sun 27-Sep-09 00:04:35

I use the banana bread recipe from the recipe section it's lovely

mwff Sun 27-Sep-09 00:06:58

i'm not a huge banana fan but i tried a recipe from here the other week (which turns out to be nigella's) and it was bloody amazing. fresh out of the oven, soft and gooey in the middle and ever so slightly crunchy on the outside. perfect.

Gateau Mon 28-Sep-09 12:12:55

Here'a an easy peasy, failproof recipe for banana bread - only called bread because it's cooked in a loaf tin. I made it yesterday for the first time. It's so quick and easy, has just six ingredients and is delicious. AND it gained lots of compliments from the inlaws - no mean feat, I can tell you!

First of all, preheat oven (fan) to 160.

You need:
2 ripe bananas (the riper the better - for sweetness, I think. The ones I used had black skins)
130g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
1 large free range egg
1 tsp baking powder
55g of butter, softened

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and combine well using a fork. You may need to add a drop of milk to get the flour mixed in well and achieve a sticky consistency.

When well mixed in, transfer to loaf tin, put in the oven and cook for 35-40 mins or until your skewer comes out clean.

Voila!

Bon appetit.

EverySingleStar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:54:07

I made Gateau's recipe but with a few tweaks.

I needed 2 of these, so made the first one exactly like the recipe called for. Halfway through making the second realised we were out of caster sugar blush.

So for the second one, I used dark brown soft sugar, and then thought I didn't want to fuck up the flavour so added 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a bit of extra flour and baking soda (as I wasn't sure about the sugar properties).

Told family they were a bit different, 1 was the 'real' recipe and one was a 'messed up but still tasty one'. They actually guessed that the PROPER recipe was the messed up one. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now