Talk

Advanced search

<whispers> Does anyone use Bisquick to make pancakes?

(11 Posts)
Pinkjenny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:28:21

blush blush

I cannot be faffed with faffing batter. I neeeed some American style pancakes, so I purchased a box of Bisquick [lazy cow emoticon]

I do not, however, need to eat 16 of them, which is the quantity that the recipe on the box makes. How do I reduce the quantities down to make less pancakes without spoiling the consistency of the alleged batter?

Or I do have plain flour, eggs and milk - is that all I need to make actual batter?

I am usually a very enthusiastic cook, but my enthusiasm has left me today.

Pinkjenny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:39:21

<hangs head in shame>

caughtintheact Wed 23-Sep-09 16:42:50

can't help with your q. My (American) MIL uses it - I don't understand the stuff- you need to add eggs and milk so exactly how is it different from flour!!!
Can you buy it in the UK then?

Pinkjenny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:44:16

Yes, I bought some in Tesco earlier. I did consider the fact that I have to add eggs and milk to the Bisquick and could just as easily add them to flour. I have never had a pancake success story, and I have a huge craving for the thick ones.

caughtintheact Wed 23-Sep-09 16:46:02

can't help with your q. My (American) MIL uses it - I don't understand the stuff- you need to add eggs and milk so exactly how is it different from flour!!!
Can you buy it in the UK then?

caughtintheact Wed 23-Sep-09 16:48:58

wierd how did that happen?
I was trying to add a post saying I just looked it up in 'JOy of Cooking' American cookbook and you need baking powder as well as eggs / milk / flour - i guess that's what makes them thick and fluffy?

I think you could just try halving the bisquick recipe and adjusting the batter till it's the right consistency by adding more milk or powder?

Pinkjenny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:49:31

I have baking powder. Maybe I'll just man up and make the batter.

caughtintheact Wed 23-Sep-09 16:49:55

go on i bet you could eat 16 yum yum smile

Pinkjenny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:50:20

grin

BlueKangerooWonders Wed 23-Sep-09 17:06:40

used to use bisquik until I read the ingredients list but they did taste soooo good!

Salsavita Wed 23-Sep-09 18:02:21

you need this recipe, works every time - nom nom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now