Talk

Advanced search

CHOCOLATE CAKE HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!

(7 Posts)
allaboutme Wed 23-Sep-09 16:15:36

Help!
Am making chocolate cake for the first time ever. Am usually shit at baking so need some help!

Have made the cake and put in oven - how long will it need??? (followed friends recipe of 8oz flour, 8oz sugar, 8oz butter and 3 eggs plus cocoa powder if that helps)

Also, how do I make the filling to go between the 2 layers of cake??
and the icing to go on the top???
(in the simplest way possible!)

Thanks very much!

allaboutme Wed 23-Sep-09 16:23:39

Please help me!!

It has been in the oven 15 mins. I am guessing 5 more minutes (god knows why, I have no idea really!!)

StirlingIsFedUpOfTheRain Wed 23-Sep-09 16:44:13

A normal sponge sandwich would take 20 mins at 190 - would just take out and check top bounces back when pressed smile

StirlingIsFedUpOfTheRain Wed 23-Sep-09 16:46:18

Sorry that was probably too late!

For the filling you could either use real cream and jam (as long as it is going to be eaten today as wont keep) or buttercream using...

100g butter
140g icing sugar
drop vanilla extract if wanted

smile

allaboutme Wed 23-Sep-09 16:50:00

Thank you!
I took it out after 20 mins and is cooling. Seems ok so far!

Will use the buttercream filling (need to save it till Friday)

Any ideas how to make chocolate icing? Melt chocolate and mix with some icing sugar??

mrsdisorganised Wed 23-Sep-09 17:01:02

My favourite icing! Takes a bit of time and stiring effort but worth it.

4oz butter
10oz sugar (not icing)
3oz cocoa
100 mils milk

Melt butter, sugar then add sieved cocoa, add milk.
Stir making sure there are no lumps! Bring to the boil and leave bubbling for 1 minute (non stick pan advisable!).
Take off heat and stir until cooled, (have been known to put sauce pan in sink of cold water whilst stiring) you will find the mixture eventually becomes nearly fudge like, you want to catch it just when you can dribble the mixture and it keeps a 'shape'! Don't over stir or you will end up with fudge!
Hope that all makes sense, well worth it.smile

allaboutme Thu 24-Sep-09 17:14:53

Thank you all.
Cake is finished! Just done the icing. Looks fab, just hope it tastes as nice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now