Talk

Advanced search

Simple yet elegant starter that I can make in advance (thinking salady thing)

(8 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 14:01:43

So DH is leaving his current job today and I wanted to celebrate as he has had a super-busy 3 months notice and is petrified slightly nervous baout the new job. We had planned to have chicken and mushroom risotto so I have the ingredents for that, but I've decided to jazz it up a bit - present the risotto nicely and attempt a chocolate fondant for pud. Given that, I need a really simple thrown together type starter that I can do well in advance - hence why a salad might be good as I can just make it and then leave it while I make the other stuff/get DS to bed etc.

Any ideas? DH doesn't do seafood, or fruit/savoury combination (so no pear and stilton type things) but otherwise eats anything.

ScummyMummy Wed 23-Sep-09 14:07:02

go retro and have avocado vinaigrette?

mankymummymoo Wed 23-Sep-09 14:09:49

Prawns and mango marinated in a little balsamic vinegar and mayo mixed together, then pile on top of a small mound of rocket. quarter cherry toms and put a few round the pile of rocket and prawns if you want to be poncy !

mankymummymoo Wed 23-Sep-09 14:11:00

oops. i didnt read the last bit of the OP did I?

Ok, bed of rocket leaves - steam some asparagus,wrap in parma ham and arrange 3/5 on top of the rocket. mix up some balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a little creme fraiche in a jar (just shake it), with pesto too if you like it and drizzle over just before serving.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 23-Sep-09 14:11:56

buffalo mozarella wraped in parma ham, on top of a rocket salad, drizzled with chilli oil.

Rindercella Wed 23-Sep-09 14:13:48

I second ChopsTheDuck's suggestion. smile

HolidaysQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 17:04:14

mankymummymoo My DH would hate that, but I'd love it

I'm going to do ChopsTheDuck's suggestion but accessorise with sunblush tomatoes which we both love (and are too expensive for normal days so gotta take advantage of a special occasion!)

Thanks

HolidaysQueen Wed 23-Sep-09 17:04:55

would love to do asparagus with parma ham actually, but we do that all the time for friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now