Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a bbq with a difference?

(21 Posts)
MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 13:07:34

I'm having some people over for a bbq. I'm bored of the usual fare.

What is your special touch when you bbq? Something different? Something awesome?

What did they do at the best bbq you've ever been to?

Point me at an inspiring website maybe?

I went to a bbq once where they did kebabs, flatbreads and masses of spicy courgettes on the bbq and an awesome spicy cucumber salad. Just 4 things. You made wraps with the meat, courgettes and salad. So simple and delicious. Great for veggies (just make courgette and salad wraps). Perfect.

twirlymum Wed 23-Sep-09 13:13:26

Not suitable for children, but I marinade strips of chicken breast in a mixture of bbq sauce and jack daniels blush for a couple of hours, then stick it on the barbie.
Lovely!

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 13:34:23

That sounds good. Slight waste of JD though... grin

meltedmarsbars Wed 23-Sep-09 14:04:04

Dark chocolate chunks inserted under skin of banana, served with dash of alcohol and cream!

Cucumber salad:

peel cucumber, grate, then add sweet vinagrette of two parts wine vinegar, three parts water, tsp salt, sugar, grind of black pepper. Makes a wet salad that goes well with kebabs.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 23-Sep-09 14:06:59

Half-cook the chicken, maybe? It'd sure make your barbie unforgettable!

meltedmarsbars Wed 23-Sep-09 14:11:11

Monkfish kebabs: marinate monkfish chunks and veg chunks (eg mushrooms, courgette, red peppers, red onions) in olive oil, lemon juice, herbs and seasoning for half hour, then skewer with streaky bacon wound back and forth between chunks and cook.

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 14:13:05

I looked in TIO and saw 'melted mars bars' and thought oooh! Yum! Wonder how you bbq them? grin

How do you insert chocolate under the skin of a banana? Doesn't it all just melt and dribble out?

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 14:14:39

Lol MrsMH. That is very true. 30 years later people still remind my poor mum about The Pork Pie Incident.

Monkfish kebabs sound ace. Fish! Yes.

meltedmarsbars Wed 23-Sep-09 14:16:14

Oily fish do well on bbq - think mackerel and sardines.

Bleh Wed 23-Sep-09 14:18:01

Went to a mostly vege bbq recently. For starters, they put whole camemberts on the BBQ, then scooped out and eaten with baguette. YUM. After that, things like roasted butternut squash with garlic, mushrooms and so on.

Love the kebab idea!

Bleh Wed 23-Sep-09 14:18:21

Trout also goes really well on a BBQ

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 23-Sep-09 14:20:44

There is no problem cooking with JD for children! All the alcohol will evaporate/be cooked off.

I have a lovely recipe for halloumi - slice it and barbecue it till charred (it cooks very quickly) and then dress with:

1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp mustard powder
1 crushed/finely chopped garlic clove
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp chopped, fresh coriander

MrsMerryHenry Wed 23-Sep-09 14:22:49

Oh, your poor mum, MaMight! grin

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 14:30:03

Veggie ideas most appreciated as there will be veggies coming.

How about the camembert thing (always wanted to do that).

Then fish kebabs / halloumi and veg kebabs.
Bread.
Salad (what salad?) This is where I always go overboard. I want it to be simple and GOOD, not faffy and ott.

Should I do something different for the children?

Fruit kebabs for pud?

Is there such a thing as too much kebabbage at a bbq?

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 14:30:57

Actually, bread with the camembert and then rice with the kebabs and salad?

Bleh Wed 23-Sep-09 14:36:14

If I recall, they took off any paper/plastic bits, then just shoved them on in their wooden boxes.

overmydeadbody Wed 23-Sep-09 14:37:45

Don't burn the food?

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 14:39:26

Lol OMD

overmydeadbody Wed 23-Sep-09 14:40:41

Don't do anything different for the children.

Keep the salad a lettuce, cucumber and tomato affair with a little red onion and a nice dressing.

overmydeadbody Wed 23-Sep-09 14:42:32

MaMight you slit the banana skin, put lots of chocolate squares in, then wrap it in foil and put on the bbq. That's what stops the choc melting out!grin

MaMight Wed 23-Sep-09 18:10:41

Mmmm. That sounds good.

You've reminded me I used to do something similar with bananas, rum and brown sugar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now