Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

low/no sugar first birthday cake

(19 Posts)
amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 11:30:18

Hello,

DS's 1st birthday is coming up and I'd like to bake him a cake but he doesn't normally have much or any sugar in his food.

Does anyone have any recipes for low or no-sugar cakes? Maybe something sweetened with fruit juice rather than sugar? Have googled but not been able to find anything so far.

Thanks

LionstarBigPants Wed 23-Sep-09 11:32:07

I don't have a recipe to hand, but I made a carrot cake for DDs 1st birthday. Had no added sugar, but grated carrot, apple and sultanas made it plenty sweet enough.

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:32:59

In terms of the amount of sugar he'll ingest, if you sweeten with fruit juice it will be much the same in the end, tbh. You'll get A LOT of "don't be silly" comments, I warn you. However, can recommend this for low sugar decoration on top of ordinary chocolate cake.

MrsJamin Wed 23-Sep-09 11:33:17

just give him cake - it's about time! I wouldn't be so precious about sugar, a little won't kill him.

trixymalixy Wed 23-Sep-09 11:33:20

Surely on one day of the year he could have a treat!!!!!!!

wannaBe Wed 23-Sep-09 11:33:41

it's a good time to start sugar. wink seriously, one bit of cake with sugar in it isn't going to do him any harm or even turn him into a sugar addict.

mazzystartled Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:13

Do a banana loaf

But - hey - it's his first birthday - don't sweat it too much...just have a really nice normal cake, give him a small bit and he can be back on the straight and narrow the next day.

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:30

may i be the first to say...

ffs just make a cake

he is one you don't even have to give him any.

amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:39

Thanks both. Habbibu - I didn't know that about the fruit sugar. In that case I might as well give in and make choc cake that I will enjoy too wink

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:48

dam too slow

amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 11:35:47

He has had sugar, he just doesn't usually have a lot and actually doesn't seem to like really sweet things all that much, hence the question.

twirlymum Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:40

I think at that age, the cake is more for the other guests anyway smile

Habbibu Wed 23-Sep-09 11:41:06

Well, that's not a scientist's opinion, amt! But fruit juice is pretty sugary, although it's fructose rather than sucrose, but I think the effect is much the same. The cake I posted was great for 1 year olds, as they picked off all the fruit, and we ate all the cake. Odds are he won't eat much, but if you make a proper cake you'll get nice pictures.

gorionine Wed 23-Sep-09 11:42:13

How much cake are you expecting him to eat?

OP, thanks heaven for your on Wed 23-Sep-09 11:34:39 post, I was about to write this:

"Has the world gone that mad that you cannot have a bit of sugar on your own birthday?"

But you seem to reasonable for me to have a go at you!grin

amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 11:43:33

Habbibu and Twirlymum, you're right he probably won't eat much but he's never had cake so wanted to make something he could try.

To those of you who have been less helpful, just a reminder that I didn't for ask your opinion on what I should feed my child, I asked if anyone had a recipe they could share.

amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 11:45:41

Gorionine - yes, I am very reasonable so no need for anyone to have a go at me

gorionine Wed 23-Sep-09 12:05:58

I knew it!smile

ib Wed 23-Sep-09 12:09:07

I use xylitol instead of sugar - it apparently doesn't give as much of a sugar high as sugar and doesn't rot teeth.

You can in theory change the sugar content of any recipe to xylitol, but I find that it only works well with recipes that are relatively low sugar anyway, otherwise the texture goes funny.

My most successful is a date and walnut loaf (can skip the walnuts if you're not giving nuts to your baby). I can give you the recipe if you're interested.

amtstevens Wed 23-Sep-09 14:00:32

ib - thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm not a big fan of dates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now