Talk

Advanced search

catering for around 70 ,help please !!!

(7 Posts)
taytotayto Wed 23-Sep-09 09:41:31

we have decided to christen our daughter in ireland and invited around 70 people thinking no one would come due to the expense, so my sister said we could have the after party at her house. space isnt an issue but nearly everyone we invited has said they are coming!!!!!
now, who much wine, beer and spirits do people think we will need to buy, bearing in mind most people wont be driving as we are arranging a bus to ferry people, and second i was thinking of cooking a joint of beef, a ham and a turkey, but how many would i need to feed 70, and what can i put with the meat that doesnt need to be hot.(was thinking of nice bread rolls, salad etc but is that boring)
sorry this is so long winded. x

Sunshinemambo Wed 23-Sep-09 09:55:24

OK don't know about beer but you're supposed to allow for half a bottle of wine per person. That's a standard industry thing.

On spirits I'd get more vodka and gin than any others as they always seem to be most popular.

The joints plus salads and bread sounds like a great idea. I'd allow for about 4-6 slices of meat per person. Another good one is to do a massive chilli and serve with rice, bread and grated cheese.

meltedmarsbars Wed 23-Sep-09 10:26:26

Or you could do a mixer like pimms which goes further.

I did a massive 24 hour roasted piece of pork: took my biggest roasting dish to butcher and asked for a bit to fill it. Served with rolls and salad.

Try a whole salmon: can be cooked the day before (bring to boil covered in water then immediately remove from heat, leave to cool still in water then take out and skin, dress with cucumber etc.

Whole gammon cooked at home the day before? Boil, then remove some fat, criss-cross, sprinkle with brown sugar and mustard and roast.

I wouldn't worry if rolls are "boring" - you are catering for 70 so are forgiven!

You may need to "subcontract" some of the preparation to a willing friend. You want to be calm and stress-free on the day, I'm sure friends will be more than willing to help out.

Also pay a couple of teenagers to act as waiters, drinks pourers, washer-uppers amd tidiers.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 23-Sep-09 13:46:23

Cous cous is what I always do when I'm feeding the 5000, simple and served cold.

meltedmarsbars Wed 23-Sep-09 13:48:36

With anything or just couscous? smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 23-Sep-09 14:16:15

Just cous cous, that way you can judge who your friends are. If they really want to spend time with you they will eat platefulls of claggy semolina.

TeeteringOnTheEdge Wed 23-Sep-09 14:31:44

I know you want cold, but a few big bowls of baby potatos would go a long way. Toss in some Kerrygold and parsley. All you need is a huge saucepan, if you'll have the hob space. Or make a big new potato salad.

Slices of stuffing beside the meat. I make it and roll into sausage shape in tin foil and freeze. So you could make it beforehand. It's filling and the Irish love their stuffing!

I had a christening 3 years ago (in Ireland) and made a lasagne as an kind of add-on (had done loads of lovely meats) and it was whipped up. That and the gammon were the favourites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now