Talk

Advanced search

rolled oat macaroons

(23 Posts)
sweetmonkey Mon 06-Jun-05 15:25:22

does anyone have the recipe please. i remember i made them years ago at school but lost recipe, i found it again a few years ago but lost it. what a div!!!
so if anyone has anything similar id really appreciate it
TIA

sweetmonkey Mon 06-Jun-05 15:49:40

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 12:56:39

anyone? please? im desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mancmum Tue 07-Jun-05 13:01:13

never heard off them - could you try a standard recipe and replve the coconut with oats?

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 13:17:17

maybe, all i remember is they were mainly oats and almond essence was used, they were so yummy too. i have a real craving for them as well.

Prettybird Tue 07-Jun-05 13:32:34

I have a recipe for sometihng like this. I'll have a look tongiht.

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 13:35:02

ah thank you so much you are a star!!!!!!!!!

Prettybird Tue 07-Jun-05 13:38:39

They're not sweets but more biscuit like - a wee bit chewy. is that what you are looking for?

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 13:41:58

Is macaroon not made with potatoes and icing sugar?? I'm sure I remember making them in primary school.

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 13:48:45

PB yes they are biscuit type things. like little cakes , "mound" shaped if that makes sense

toothache no potatoes were harmed in the making of the macaroons

emmamama Tue 07-Jun-05 13:52:53

Now that I have my Be-Ro book out I have a recipie for macaroons, but no mention of rolled oats. Do you want it anyway?

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 13:57:20

yes please if you dont mind, that would be really kind. ive gone into baking mode again

emmamama Tue 07-Jun-05 14:07:44

macaroons - makes 9

100g short pastry
filling-
50g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
1 medium egg, beaten
raspberry jam

heat oven to 200c, 400f, gas mark 6
roll out pastry thinly, cut 3/4 of the pastry into rounds using a 7.5 cm(3inch) cutter and line 9 patty tins

mix almonds and sugar with sufficient beaten egg to make a soft mixture

place a little jam in each case and top with a spoonful of almond mixture

sprinkle with caster sugar then make thin strips from the reserved pastry to make crosses on the cakes. Bake for about 15-20mins

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 14:09:33

sounds yummy thank you so much!!!!!!!!

i think i used to have these from the bakers when i was younger. did they used to have rice paper on the bottom? or am i thinking of somthing else?

emmamama Tue 07-Jun-05 14:13:31

You really should get hold of one of these Be-ro books SM, it'll transport you back to your choldhood. Am looking at the treacle tart and drooling!

emmamama Tue 07-Jun-05 14:13:53

childhod even

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 14:15:03

i think yr right , ill have a look and see about getting one,really got into baking again lately and always need new ideas. thanks so much for yr help
whats yr fave thing to make?

emmamama Tue 07-Jun-05 14:22:09

tbh I haven't made anything out of it for about 20 years! Unfortunately I am dieting at the moment so I won't be doing anything myself. I might see if ds1 would want a go as some of the recipies look fairly simple.

If I was to make something it would probably be a bakewell tart- no a lemon meringue pie- no no a granny loaf, erm now you see why I'm on a diet!!!

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 14:26:25

LOL i too am sort of on a diet. i do quite well in the fact that i bake cakes and dont usually eat them . i just let eveyone else have them. although macaroons are calling so i might just have to make them in secret and scoff the lot either that or double maybe even treble the ingredeints so i can have my own stash
he he

Prettybird Tue 07-Jun-05 14:58:02

The "oat" macaroons that my mum used to make and for which I have the recipe somewhere are as you describe - sort of dome shaped.

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, you actually make them by rolling them into a wee bolls and putting them on the baking sheet - and the 2collapse" into the domes while cooking.

sweetmonkey Tue 07-Jun-05 15:00:40

Yeah they sound like the ones

Prettybird Wed 08-Jun-05 09:25:34

Oops - forgot to look them out last night. remembered while I was cooking suppoer and then forgot again. I'll find the recipe tongiht.

sweetmonkey Wed 08-Jun-05 10:57:01

Ok thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now