Talk

Advanced search

Did you switch to SS milk at age 2? And with what effect?

(19 Posts)
ElusiveMoose Mon 21-Sep-09 14:42:45

DS turns two this week, and in between baking party cakes I have been idly wondering whether I should be switching him over to semi skimmed milk (I vaguely remember reading official advice that you're supposed to make the change when they hit two). Just wondering whether others did this, or stuck with full fat? I'm particularly interested in whether cutting down the milk calories might encourage DS to be a bit more enthusiastic about his solids - he's not a terrible eater, but he never really tucks into anything with gusto. (NB the last time I had him weighed he was totally average weight for his age/height.)

pippel Mon 21-Sep-09 15:39:48

I changed at 2 just because it was a pain in the arse getting two different types of milk blush

there was no effect at all, no change to her eating or weight gain, but she has never really ben a big milk drinker anyway.

bigchris Mon 21-Sep-09 15:42:51

same as pippel

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 21-Sep-09 15:43:28

No. DD is a very active, healthy eating slim 3 yo, don't see any need to change whatsoever. She loves milk.

ruddynorah Mon 21-Sep-09 15:44:03

no change. good eater. never been that keen on milk since she came off bf.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 21-Sep-09 15:44:45

Oh and should have said, she loves milk but also eats plenty of solids. She has cut down her milk consumption herself in time.

weegiemum Mon 21-Sep-09 15:45:30

same as pippel too. I was always forgetting one kind of milk and then dh was moaning about ff on his cereal! SO we all went ss.

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 15:57:24

Whole milk (and actual butter) for us all here, 'tis made that was for a reason IMHO. None of us are overweight (well I've still got 4 kg of baby weight to go but I've lost 15 in the last 4 months).

I read a study about lactose digesting milk fat or some such, unfortunately I can't find the source ATM...

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 21-Sep-09 15:59:17

oh yes, real butter - DD loves her butter. As to DH and I. DH needs to watch it as the weight creeps on, but I don't and neither does DD. Corn on the cob with butter dripping off it - that is her favourite and I shall do that for her tea tonight after nursery!

nappyaddict Mon 21-Sep-09 16:04:02

We have real butter but semi-skimmed milk.

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 16:06:34

Oh, over here (in the Netherlands) they say SS milk is fine from a year. Switching is fine if that's what you want to do. It is (IMVHO) a processed food though.

meltedmarsbars Mon 21-Sep-09 21:58:40

We have butter and full fat. None o' that poncy southern "skinny" milk, as my dc's call it.

And we are all fit and healthy. Full fat IS ONLY 4% FAT FGS. and yes I AM SHOUTING THAT!!!

meltedmarsbars Mon 21-Sep-09 21:59:22

If you are worried about fat content, ditch the crisps and chips!

ElusiveMoose Tue 22-Sep-09 07:59:28

Thanks for all your replies. norktasticninja, really interesting perspective that SS milk could be classed as a processed food; I guess I'd just never thought about it like that. I'm definitely a real butter etc fan myself, and I have no objections to FF milk on fat grounds, but having grown up on SS I now don't like the taste of FF, particularly on cereal (which is odd, because I generally like lashings of double cream on everything grin). So I guess I'll end up putting DS on SS milk for convenience's sake, sooner or later, like a couple of others here have done. (When I said I was interested in the effect of cutting down DS's milk calories, I didn't mean that I was worried about his calorie intake generally, just that I thought it might help him to be a bit keener on his solid food.)

TreeTrunkThighs Tue 22-Sep-09 08:06:43

Same as pippel too!

Colonelcupcake Tue 22-Sep-09 08:15:36

We are the same as meltedmarsbars. Long live the full fat!

notyummy Tue 22-Sep-09 08:31:45

We switched to ss because as others have mentioned on this thread, neither DH or I are keen on the taste of FF - but in fact we still buy 2 types of milk because we both have skimmed!! DD has always been on the higher end of normal for weight so we had no issues there. I have given her skimmed in the past when we ran out of ss and she seemed quite happy with it. She is now 3, and I think we will switch to skimmed as a family for convenience when she is 5, which I believe is the earliest that nutritionists recommend.

Eyeballls Tue 22-Sep-09 08:33:01

I will change dd to semi when she's two because like others have said, it's a pain in the arse to get two types of milk. Have no objection to ff but neither myself nor dh can stand the taste of it and when my cup of tea is at stake then I win

norktasticninja Tue 22-Sep-09 11:58:11

If DD seems to be going through a phase of drinking enough milk that I'm worried about the effect the extra calories are having on her appetite for food I just water down whole milk. I also do it when she demands milk not long before a meal. That way she gets all the goodies from the cream without denting her appetite too much.

I do the same for myself if I'm dieting too

I can understand that having two types of milk would be a PITA though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now