Talk

Advanced search

i have a chicken carcass from a roast today and a slow cooker

(13 Posts)
nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 18:51:39

what do i do with it to make either soup or stock? i dont want to throw it out but am at rather a loss.....

foxinsocks Sun 20-Sep-09 18:53:41

ha! I have just had same quandry. I have made a chicken pie with the left overs but was thinking soup with the carcass (tomorrow).

Do you have to eat it immediately or can you keep it?

nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 18:56:04

i could keep it if it can be frozen? I do have enough fridge space for the carcass but not too mcuh time in the week for doing things with it. not too much meat left on chicken as it was quite small...

boogeek Sun 20-Sep-09 19:06:07

You can freeze the carcass and make stock with it when you are ready (or, if it is a small chicken, maybe wait until next time you have one and use them together). Basically bung it in your SC with a few bits of veg - like, an onion, a carrot, a bit of celery - and some peppercorns if you have some, and/or maybe a bay leaf, and fill it up with water. After a day, strain it; let it cool and then put it in the fridge; remove the fat from the top. you can then use it as stock or freeze that.

boogeek Sun 20-Sep-09 19:06:28

PS Just noticed who the OP is - hello! Thought you were veggy?

nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 19:11:45

thanks! hello to you too! could have just emailed you, eh?! well i certainly was and still dont eat much meat but have to compromise a little or we wouldnt eat together as a family! i will do exactly as you suggest- assume on low in SC if for 24 hours

boogeek Sun 20-Sep-09 19:16:20

I'd put it in on low in the morning and turn it off again at teatime - 24 hours is probably unnecessary.

nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 19:17:41

ok will do. thanks! back to the romantic fire that has been lit for me with candles then i suppose! maybe chat on email or FB soon??!

boogeek Sun 20-Sep-09 19:22:11

Ooh, sounds nice (but but but. In September?!). I have a deadline tonight - but on the bright side that means DH has to clear up after tea!
That would be lovely, it's been ages. Drop me a line and tell me all your news!

Sunshinemambo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:26:47

I'd make stock because you can later make soup with it and other yummy things like risotto.

nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 19:27:38

well it is our anniversary today so is a special reason!!! hope you meet your deadline....

nowwearefour Sun 20-Sep-09 19:28:06

yes thanks sunshine- think i will make stock then feeze it til i will use it

boogeek Sun 20-Sep-09 19:33:47

Oh, congratulations! How many years is that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now