Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need your help to plan some really easy really quick but interesting and filling meals.......

(8 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Sun 20-Sep-09 15:15:38

for the coming week.

I have a whole chicken, some mince, chicken wings and chicken drumsticks (I think?) in the freezer, lots of pasta in, lots of rice (4kgs of each to be precise), also got a couple of tins of tomatoes in already as well, oh and a tin of curry sauce. 2 large bags of carrots and potatoes.

Doing baked potatoes for dinner tonight, but need to plan meals for the rest of the week so I can do an online shop and stop poor DS1 being packed off to the shop everyday for bits and pieces.

So minimal preparation, quick to cook (or stuff that can be just thrown in the oven and forgotten about until it's time to take it out) and filling - baked beans on toast just don't cut it for my boys.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 20-Sep-09 15:58:57

Roast Chicken with potatoes, carrots & gravy

Fried rice made with left over chicken - add diced carrots & frozen peas (if you have any). You could also add egg of you want it to be even more filling

Shepherds pie or lasagne with the mince

Chicken curry

Sorry - they aren't very inspiring ideas

BonsoirAnna Sun 20-Sep-09 16:03:05

You can peel the potatoes, slice them into 5mm slices, rinse them in water and then drain, mix with salt, pepper and some peeled, chopped (not crushed) garlic, and then stick them in the oven with olive oil and some herbs for 45 minutes at 200°. Serve with roast chicken (cooked in same oven).

Pasta with courgettes (that you parboil, slice and then cook with garlic and olive oil), ricotta and basil.

Use mince to make a large vat of bolognese sauce.

Use chicken to make a Thai green curry and rice.

All those recipes fill my ravenous DSSs up.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Sun 20-Sep-09 19:10:50

Make carrot and tattie mash to top shepherds pies, very nice

Sticky chicken wings with rice - recipes easily googleable

Have you got a slowcooker at all?

CybilLiberty Sun 20-Sep-09 19:13:08

I buy spicy Meican beans (tinned ) from Asda, but you could equally easily use beef chilli. Fill rolled flour tortillas with the beans/chilli, grate cheese over top and bake in oven.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Sun 20-Sep-09 19:15:29

Grate up carrots and add some salad dressing and a handful of sultanas, fry up some sliced boiled potatoes and have with cold chicken

alwayslookingforanswers Sun 20-Sep-09 19:18:43

some great ideas here thanks. Wanting minimal prep as I'm not really up to standing around in the kitchen chopping/stirring stuff.

I do have a slow cooker........it hasn't been used for about 2yrs so it's rather dusty - but it still works perfectly well.

Sunshinemambo Sun 20-Sep-09 19:33:44

I'd make roast chicken pasta. Roast the chicken, cook the pasta, cut up the chicken, skin and all, and add to the pasta along with the roasting juices, some parsley, pine nuts and capers. It's one of my staples and is absolutely gorgeous.

There's a new Jamie recipe that is gorgeous for the other chicken where you marinade them over night in a garlic, lemon, parsley and olive oil mix (and shove some of the mix under the skin). Then make a stew with onions, more garlic, chilli, desseded toms, chopped jar of chargrilled peppers plus the oil they're preserved in. Brown the chicken and then put in the over for 15 mins to cook. Serve with the chickpea stew and spinkle with basil. It's so so good.

Veggie curry with the potatoes - add fenugreek seeds and it'll taste really authentic. Not sure what I'd do with the mince. Probably a pie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now