Talk

Advanced search

Lunchbox ideas for grown ups please

(18 Posts)
clemette Sun 20-Sep-09 08:38:10

I have recently finished teaching after twelve years. In those twelve years I ALWAYS had school dinners (partly because I was ravenous at lunchtime, partly because I am slightly lazy/disorganised).
I have now become a student again and need to take my own lunches. We have no microwave so it will need to be cold (though I do have a flask suitable for soup). I don't really like bread so sandwiches are out.
So apart from soup, doea anyone have any brilliant recipes/ideas for cold, interesting lunches I can take in my lunchbox? Or are there any good recipe books that I could try?
Thank you.

foxinsocks Sun 20-Sep-09 08:40:48

salads

loads of them

they have to be large to fill you up but are brilliant for leftover meat

my fave is a chicken and mango one but basically I just shove together leftovers in a pot

sainsburys make a really nice cous cous chicken salad (and I normally HATE cous cous). It's spicy chicken with a yoghurt dressing and plain (but slightly spicy) cous cous with spinach leaves.

cold pasta salads good too (though get v boring)

clemette Sun 20-Sep-09 21:25:49

Thank you.
I just lack inspiration I think.

chocolatekimmy Sun 20-Sep-09 21:32:06

Salad with cold meat or tuna/salmon. Include hardboiled egg, avocado, cheese and a dressing

Pasta - cook and allow to cool then add - sweetcorn, mushroom, spring onion, apple, peach (or anything else you like) with some mayo or salad cream and some natural yoghurt

You can do the same with cold rice

How about pitta bread or wraps. Put cheese, sweetcorn, mushroom, onion etc on a wrap and grill it for a few minutes. Its nice hot or cold

StirlingIsFedUpOfTheRain Sun 20-Sep-09 22:15:06

A few ideas HERE for pasta salads - I searched for these the other day as me and the dc are fed up of our normal packed lunches so we are going to give a few of these a try smile

janeite Mon 21-Sep-09 17:32:48

Mini pot of Philly, some oatcakes and some carrot sticks.

Greek salad and a pitta bread - yum.

Croissant with cheese.

Cold veggie sausage rolls (!) and salad.

Yoghurt, fruit and seeds.

thereistheball Mon 21-Sep-09 17:47:25

any of these any good to you?

meltedmarsbars Mon 21-Sep-09 21:33:01

What about lentil or chickpea salads? Add vinaigrette and chopped spring onion and diced tomato to cooked lentils or chick-peas, with a dash of lemon juice.

Thats what my dh some times takes.

Or leftover pasta in sauce (usually tomato)

Cies Mon 21-Sep-09 21:35:51

Quiche

Spanish omelette

Sausage rolls

Pasty

Pizza

ByTheSea Mon 21-Sep-09 21:37:04

I'm not big on sandwiches but I love wraps. Among others, for ease I like smoked turkey and coleslaw, or seafood sticks with a bit of seafood sauce and rocket salad. I also pack things like cherry tomatoes, raw veg sticks and fruit. I also like cous cous with chick peas.

clemette Mon 21-Sep-09 23:30:45

Thank you for all the ideas - I feel inspired.
And thanks for the link thereis - note to self, search threads before posting wink

BiscuitStuffer Tue 22-Sep-09 15:07:51

Cut a pack of flour tortillas in to triangles, put on a baking tray and bake on high until just turning golden. Cool and store in an airtight tin.

Eat as they are or use to scoop up humous / salads etc.

orangina Tue 22-Sep-09 15:46:51

I quite like noodles with soya beans and chicken or cooked salmon, plus a dash of soya sauce and mirin, plus some sesame seeds. You can make it the night before and its nice to eat at room temperature.

You can use rice or soba noodles if you're not big on wheaty egg noodles....

orangina Tue 22-Sep-09 15:49:48

(Could also do the above with rice...)

TheArmadillo Tue 22-Sep-09 15:50:01

my favourite is couscous with tsp of harrisa mixed in with tuna mayo plus sweetcorn/spring onion and cucumber mixed in on a bed of salad leaves.

Or I take home made soup in (watercress this week).

Sunshinemambo Tue 22-Sep-09 16:04:31

Couscous is always a good one as you can add loads of yummy things. I like to add spring onions, toms, coriander, lemon juice and zest and some tabasco.

Roast chicke salad or pasta. Roast a chicken. Chop up and add, skin on, with juices to either pasta (penne is good) or salad (leaves and red onion). Add capers, pine nuts and parsley.

Potato salads are good. I have two. One with sping onions, chives and a dressing of lemon juice and zest, olive oil, wholegrain mustard and garlic. One with red onion, capers and a dressing of mayo, olive oil and Dijon mustard.

One of may fave salads with with butter beans, toms, red onion, parsley, wilted spinach, capers and feta.

I also love leaves with red onion, bacon, avocado and a dressing of single cream, olive oil, sherry vinegar and blue cheese.

Salad of pear, buffalo, mozarella sprinkled with chopped chilli and basil and a really good olive oil.

My fave sandwich, on farmhouse bread, is pesto chicken (griddle chicken breast, chop up and mix with pesto and mayo), red onion, avocado and pea shoots.

Hope this helps.

BiscuitStuffer Tue 22-Sep-09 20:59:53

Quinoa
Pomegranate seeds
Toasted pine nuts
coriander
mint
lemon juice
olive oil

clemette Fri 25-Sep-09 21:49:50

Fantastic ideas - thank you so much for all of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now