Talk

Advanced search

non buttercream( vom) icing for fairy type cakes please

(56 Posts)
NoahDear Sat 19-Sep-09 16:56:57

so far i have melted butter choc and added icing sugar
dont know if it wil work in the NEW lakeland disposable icing bags i have bought

what do you use

CarmenSanDiego Sat 19-Sep-09 16:59:36

I've been converted to the American thing of using cream cheese with butter and icing sugar. It's slightly more tangy and slightly less sweet than standard buttercream.

Also really really good with a little fine grated orange peel in.

NoahDear Sat 19-Sep-09 17:00:11

I dont think the kids will go for that - but it sounds intriguining

vinblanc Sat 19-Sep-09 17:01:16

Is water ice too simple?

hatwoman Sat 19-Sep-09 17:01:53

icing sugar and lemon juice or water.

NoahDear Sat 19-Sep-09 17:02:11

i am wanting to be uber icer you see.
I cant do it wah wah

brimfull Sat 19-Sep-09 17:03:39

just buy one of those already made tubs f chic icing

betty crocker

NoahDear Sat 19-Sep-09 17:04:40

god no
the kids still recall the cake " with the fake icing"

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 17:06:24

kids won't eat cream cheese icing? what if you just don't tell them what's in it? god the best thing ever about christmas used to be making mince pies with my mum and gorging on the philadelphia/sugar paste that went on top of the mincemeat...

brimfull Sat 19-Sep-09 17:06:44

i am shite at baking

ds's party tomorrow

flapjack cake with cadbury choc on top -yum

foxinsocks Sat 19-Sep-09 17:07:10

what is uber ice

I quite like the water icing sugar mixture (have to force myself not to eat it while making)

is the most irritating thing to put JUST too much sodding water in

I like butter icing with v little butter. If you put in about 2oz melty butter, icing sugar and cocoa, makes the most divine icing that doesn't taste buttery at all

artichokes Sat 19-Sep-09 17:10:04

butter and icing sugar whipped for ages with a paddle. Why is that vom??? No kid wld call that vom.

Try fondant icing for something different (no idea what's in it but MiL does amazing designs with it).

artichokes Sat 19-Sep-09 17:11:44

Agree with fox. The key to butter icing is not too much butter and loads of whilpping.

hatwoman Sat 19-Sep-09 17:17:30

agree - I love butter icing. although, in the intersts of quantity I would say taht rather than not much butter, the key is LOADS of sugar. just keep adding til the stuff barely moves. it shouldn't be greasy at all.

mmmm. hat wants to make fairy cakes now...

hulahoopyfingers Sat 19-Sep-09 17:23:04

god that phili icing stuff is beyond grim

someone bought a cake to a recent bbq with it on top IT WAS THE ONLY DESSERT LEFT AT THE END

GentleOtter Sat 19-Sep-09 17:30:05

nutella and icing sugar is quite good

hulahoopyfingers Sat 19-Sep-09 17:32:26

now that does sound good

NoahDear Sat 19-Sep-09 17:39:33

the thing is I was at a tennis hting with the boys and this mum turned up with the most DIVINE cakes. they were deffo cupcakes with a swirl a swirl of (now i think prob v posh) buttecream on them and the lightest texture. and glitter.

they were deffo NOT fairy cakes - someone one here suggested that buttermilk is the ingredient.

GentleOtter Sat 19-Sep-09 18:15:21

They sound very like M&S cupcakes.They have a swirl. She added the glitter afterwards. <Miss Marple face>

foxinsocks Sat 19-Sep-09 18:16:22

v good spot Otter. I bet they were. That's exactly what the M&S ones look like.

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:28:47

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Sat 19-Sep-09 21:27:29

I use a cream cheese icing that involves cream cheese, warm cream or milk, lots of icing sugar and vanilla or any other flavouring -- no butter. There's also a chocolate version which requires about an oz of melted bittersweet or unsweetened choc.

MollieO Sat 19-Sep-09 21:30:48

When you use cream cheese do you use Philadelphia type?

mathanxiety Sat 19-Sep-09 21:34:45

I think the results are better if you use full fat, not low fat. The one I use is the philly-type brick.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 19-Sep-09 21:44:34

small tub of mascarpone with some soft brown sugar beaten in.
Butter cream with melted dark/milk/white choc/orange zest/lemon zest/fresh coffee/vanilla pod beaten in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now