Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are you doing locally about crap school dinners?

(6 Posts)
tiddlypom Sun 05-Jun-05 21:19:12

Just wondered how many local campaigns were going on, and how much success everyone's having.

There was an article in The Londoner - the free paper put out by the Greater London Authority (Ken Livingstone's lot) - which said that Hammersmith and Fulham were moving fast to improve school dinners, and that Kensington and Chelsea - unbelievably! - were aiming to provide ORGANIC school dinners! What kind of dream come true is that?

Does anyone live in Kensington and Chelsea, who can tell me how they're planning to achieve it?

Merton, my borough, sadly but unsurprisingly was third from bottom out of 33 boroughs in a table showing uptake of school dinners. We're all just packing those damned sarnies.

The Merton parents' campaign now has a great website here and there's a big meeting tomorrow, 6 June, which should be on the telly.

I'd love to know what other areas are doing in response to Jamie Oliver's campaign - especially if they're going organic!

hercules Sun 05-Jun-05 21:19:45

Giving ds packed lunch.

tiddlypom Sun 05-Jun-05 21:21:17

I know, me too.

milge Sun 05-Jun-05 21:59:03

i'm a govenor of our local primary school, and as well as local authority crap, the parents are paying extra to have one home cooked meal option per day. the menu is designed each week by year 6 pupils.

tiddlypom Sun 05-Jun-05 22:03:58

That sounds a good idea - our school would probably be up for that.

Who cooks the food on that day?

milge Sun 05-Jun-05 22:06:03

Usual school cooks/packet openers - thankfully they can cook!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now