Talk

Advanced search

Economy Cooks

(7 Posts)
AlderTree Fri 18-Sep-09 19:25:27

Have been watching the Economy Gastronomy series and considered buying the book but after checking out reviews I came on here to see what you guys think. So I've worked out that cook in bulk and freeze is a popular alternative to the tumble down meal system. Other than for all those people like me who always forget to get the frozen stuff out in time to defrost it...and are still left wondering what to have for dinner.

Which other cookbooks or info sources can tell me how long my leftovers can be left and what I can do with them?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 18-Sep-09 19:29:53

you can get the recipes online for free grin
And they weren't really proper economy now were they!
(the dhal recipe is yucky though)
Your freezer book should tell you how long things can be frozen for.

MrsMagnolia Fri 18-Sep-09 19:48:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlderTree Fri 18-Sep-09 19:53:08

Thanks DMs. However it is not the freezer times I have a problem with, we throw so little away anything in there gets eaten fairly quickly.

For example:- How long can you keep freshly made chicken stock in the fridge for? For those of us with limited or no freezer space surely there are others who are wondering about this given our best before fascination.

How long will my bolognese/tomato sauce keep in the fridge? Is there a kind of home reference cook book like this?

AlderTree Fri 18-Sep-09 19:57:42

Mrs magnolia that sounds fab. I just looked it up on my favourite book selling website and it is exactly what I am looking for. My husband would probably say i could write my own given the strange things we sometimes eat. I like the idea we could get more out of the things I think need to be thrown away.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 18-Sep-09 19:59:37

I got the Gill Holcrombe book if anyone wants to borrow it.
I bet there's a website that says.
here says 48 hours in fridge and a year frozen for chicken stock.

mumblecrumble Sun 20-Sep-09 06:42:03

Hello!

I've found some good ideas on this website

Somehting simple that I not try to do in response to forgetting stuff in the freexer is that whenever I put somthing in it I plan when we could have it. I also have a drawer in freezer fo differnet things....for example:

Bottom drawer - frozen veg and fruit. When stuff is in season I freeze them and pop thm in a bag. Like peppers, rhubarb, berries. So if I need veg/ffruit I just open that drawer and shake something into what I'm cooking.

next drawe up - fish on one side, treats on the other..... If we fancy a treat [like last nigt when dd was at grandmas] I look in htere.... mmmm we found stewed fruit and cookie dough...

next drawer - meat and stuff I've made that beeds cooking [cos DH once fed DD raw stuffing mix out of the freezer....]. Look in here when wondering what to have for dinner.

next drawer - leftovers ready for eating. Some in srewtop containers fo taking to work others in 1 or 2 person portions. This is can;t be arse drawer....

Top drawer - other stuff..... herbs, ginger, more leftovers, random stuff.

Also. Speak to people [generally women] over 70. They are good at economy gastronomy! My Granma is myfood angel....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now