Talk

Advanced search

I've found UCM's famous chrsitmas cake recipe ..

(4 Posts)
LittleMissNosey Fri 18-Sep-09 13:30:40

Here

6oz sultanas
6oz raisins
4oz currants
4oz glacecherries
3oz mixed peel
1/4 pint sherry
6oz butter
6oz soft brown sugar
4 eggs
4oz SR flour
4oz plain flour
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1oz ground almonds

Mix together all fruit. pour sherry over and leave to soak for 1 week, covered. Stir frequently until required.

Grease & line a 7 - 8 inch cake tin

Method

Cream butter & sugar until soft & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Fold in flour, salt & ground almonds. Drain off any liquid from the fruit and mix fruit into mixture stirring until well blended. Put into prepared tin, smooth top and bake just below middle of oven for 1 hour on gas mark 3. Then cover with foil and reduce oven to gas mark 2 and cook for a further 1.5 hours until firm to touch. Leave to stand in tin until nearly cold. remove from tin, prick well and pour over liquid from dried fruit. Wrap in foil or greaseproof paper and leave to mature until a few days before christmas, then marzipan & ice

And I want to make it this year. It will be my first ever christmas cake.

Does anyone know if its large or meduim eggs I should use?

SISOSIG Fri 18-Sep-09 13:33:47

I always make Delia's cake and it turns out so well

LOOBYLOU2 Fri 18-Sep-09 13:57:27

I have madethis one from Good Food Magazine
for the last 8 years and it's fab - mine always takes longer to cook than the recipe states tho'.
[[ http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=christmas+cake&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&fil terItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&x=49&y=16 simmer and stir christmas cake]]

LOOBYLOU2 Fri 18-Sep-09 13:59:40

don't know what I did wrong there ....
Anyway www.bbcgoodfood.com
search recipes and it's simmer and stir Christmas Cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now