Talk

Advanced search

Porridge eaters - how do you do yours?

(15 Posts)
Daffodilly Thu 17-Sep-09 22:33:30

Chilling mornings have me hankering for a nice bowl of porridge. Plus it is one breakfast that whole family will eat.

I usually make it with milk in a saucepan, lots of stirring and then add nuts/dried fruit/etc.

However it is a bit time consuming to do and clean up. Has anyone perfected a quick, easy way or making it for family of four?

What do you add to yours to jazz it up?

ShowOfHands Thu 17-Sep-09 22:36:21

No, no, no. Don't sully the porridge. Milk. Oats. Pan. The end. Low heat, when it starts to bubble it's ready, no stirring required.

Keep your pesky fruit and nuts in your Christmas bowl away from the beautiful porridge you heathen you.

paisleyleaf Thu 17-Sep-09 22:36:48

I do it in the slow cooker - it's handy for us as we're all out the door different times.

2shoes Thu 17-Sep-09 22:37:25

dd(sn) has porridge in the morning and I <<<whispers>>> do it in the microwave and just add sugar and some Jam

TeamEdward Thu 17-Sep-09 22:37:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nevergoogledragonbutter Thu 17-Sep-09 22:39:31

I use the individual portion packets and the microwave.
And I don't share with anyone.
They can have cheerios.

millenniumfalcon Thu 17-Sep-09 22:41:30

cooked with milk, thick, then extra cold milk poured in around it so it floats like a little island and swirls of golden syrup thick enough they sink down in the porridge

Daffodilly Thu 17-Sep-09 22:44:17

God this is making me hungry now - do I have to wait until breakfast???

madlentileater Thu 17-Sep-09 22:47:01

I do it in the microwave, butit is nicer done in the pan, I think. Not worth making several helpings in the mw as you have to keep stirring it. I bet a slow cooker does it really well.

rockinghertosleep Thu 17-Sep-09 22:57:37

Go all out...

1)Put porridge in neat mountain in bowl
2)hollow a volcano divot
3)Fill volcano with butter
4)Make it a volcano island by surrounding it with milk
5)Sprinkle liberally with light brown sugar

MMMMM

skymoo Thu 17-Sep-09 23:09:39

i microwave mine, one part porridge to two parts milk - microwave for about 5 mins or more according to thickness required and amount. Lovely and mess free!

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 23:13:39

water
pinhead oatmeal
salt
cook in a pan on medium heat stirring it all the time.
lots of milk on top and more salt.

TeamEdward Thu 17-Sep-09 23:17:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBlennerhasset Thu 17-Sep-09 23:19:59

Do it for less time than it says. I do mine for 2 mins in micro when it says 2 and a half.

mmmmmmmmm.....porridge....

moonshine Thu 17-Sep-09 23:21:46

I find the same when I do porridge in the microwave, although it happens more if I use a bit of water or skimmed milk than if I use ff milk.

But am too lazy to do one portion of porridge on the stove so I risk it. One part porridge to 2 parts milk. Microwave for 3 mins. Stir in brown sugar and half a mashed up banana. Sprinkle cinnamon if feeling extravagant.Leave it to go almost cold and form a hard surface. Eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now