Talk

Advanced search

Monthly or weekly shop?

(35 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 09:53:00

Message withdrawn

overmydeadbody Thu 17-Sep-09 09:59:08

I shop daily. Buy what I need. This way I can also buy whatever's on offer.

Average spend about £40 per week.

BornToFolk Thu 17-Sep-09 10:00:01

Fortnightly grin big shop of about £100, then top ups of bread/milk/fruit and veg a couple of times a week. It works well for us but we need to be careful to do a menu planning to make sure that we eat up the things that are going to go off first, then rely on the freezer later on.

But we buy very little snack food so there's not the issue of eating it all at once. If we fancy crisps or chocolate we pop to the corner shop.

I'd like to do less top up shops. We have a massive Tesco near us and I popped in last week for milk and came out with reduced bread, balloons and candles for DS's birthday party and other odds and sods. I am incapable of spending less than a tenner in Tesco!

Bramshott Thu 17-Sep-09 10:01:26

Fortnightly internet order and weekly veg box - works well for us. We get milk from the milkman and do bread in the breadmaker so we never have to rush out for extra supplies.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 10:05:41

Message withdrawn

ElectricElephant Thu 17-Sep-09 10:06:28

Weekly shop - the one at the beginning of the month tends to be a big cupboard shope and costs a fortune (£120 this month!) and then meal-planned weekly shops of about £75. We are only 3, so this is possibly a bit much but am trying to cut down.

ElectricElephant Thu 17-Sep-09 10:06:48

shope? shop grin

overmydeadbody Thu 17-Sep-09 10:08:29

shineon the daily thing is sort of out of necessity. I don't have a car but pass plenty of shops each evening after school so it's quickest to just get whatever I need whenever I need to.

The downside is the cupboards are never very stocked and I don't have things on standby grin

gemmiegoatlegs Thu 17-Sep-09 10:11:03

as we are managing on a tight budget and dh gets paid monthly, we do a big shop on payday £160 ish which fills the freezer and cupboard and pet stuff. i get a vegbox most fridays which is £13 and then maybe £20 a week on top up shopping salad/milk/sandwich stuff. I make my own bread so buy all the ingredients with the monthly shop. this saves maybe a fiver a week on bread. I'd like to spend less but don't really know where I could cut down.

BikeRunSki Thu 17-Sep-09 10:17:49

Monthly Asda Online shop - about £120.
Greengrocer delivers veg when I ring her up and ask - usually about £14 a week.
Milk from milkman.
Make bread mostly.
Top up at local co-op as and when needed - Maybe about £50/month.

Don't get many snacks - cereal bars for DH's lunchbox mostly - and i have a canteen at work.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 10:19:18

Message withdrawn

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 10:30:34

Weekly absolutely

With 4 chidlren there are not enough acres of sorage for monthly!

£125 for us a week including nappiesetc, buyt thats with everything including allergy fods

claireybee Thu 17-Sep-09 10:41:17

Shiney I have streamlined my complicated approach since your last thread.

Basically now I do a quarterly big shop of tins, loo roll, flour, rice, pasta, passata, herbs/spices dried pulses, washing powder, juice etc- this gets delivered so I don't have to lug it home. The last one cost £120 so £40 a month.

Then all I need to buy is fresh fruit and veg, meat, milk, cheese, yoghurts and bread if I don't make it, plus any meal specific ingredients or any store cupboard stuff I have run out of. I try to get meat that is reduced or on a special promotion (shopping in the afternoon is best for reduced meat)and once a week (sometimes every other week depending what I have at home)I go to Sainsbury's in the evening and hang around til they reduce the fruit & veg to 30p. They used to do it at 8pm but there were a lot of us loiterers so now it is around 9.15. Obviously the date on it is that day but most of it is ok for at least another 4/5 days in the fridge ( I freeze reduced meat).

By doing this my weekly shop is usually under £20 meaning I spend £30 a week on average. Wine is separate though!

The big store cupboard shop currently works really well for me, although I did order 6 packets of biscuits and eat them all within a few days-maybe snack products should be part of the weekly shop instead to avoid this issue grin

claireybee Thu 17-Sep-09 10:45:00

Oh yes and walking to shops helps avoid excessive spending-I do tend to only buy what I need knowing that I have to carry it home!

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 10:47:21

Yep, and only use a basket if you have to, and a trolley if you really ahve to- if you have to carry your shopping 9either in your arms on a heavy basket) you will buy less.

shinyshoes Thu 17-Sep-09 10:52:24

Fortnightly big shops of about £100.00 then I top up on bread , milk, wine, sandwich filling, yoghurts , wine, fruit, wine , grin

I often have masses of food in both freezers all the time so I'm not shopping for food to last the week iyswim

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 10:53:40

Message withdrawn

RubyrubyrubyRevel Thu 17-Sep-09 10:54:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 17-Sep-09 10:57:32

try to shop either weekly/fortnightly, but often end of shopping daily which is not economical at all.

Cheapest for us is weekly, with a couple of monthly buys rotated in it (dishwasher tablets, washing powder, shampoo etc)

claireybee Thu 17-Sep-09 11:05:41

Hmm yes 5 miles might be pushing it a bit, mine is 1 mile or 1.7 to the other one. Is there a bus? Or just use a basket and pretend to yourself that you have to walk wink

Store cupboard, mine is mainly tinned tomatoes! 5kg bags of rice, pasta, big packs of noodles, dried mixed beans, 2 different types of lentils, tinned kidney beans, big boxes of cereal, 5 million loo rolls etc. Basically I can make a variety of meals just by adding a bit of fresh veg and/or meat. I could probably live just out of the cupboard for a month but we might all get scurvy

claireybee Thu 17-Sep-09 11:08:57

Jamies list. I don't have everything on there but do have other stuff that I consider more important. It's a good basic list though imo.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 11:09:24

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 11:09:48

Message withdrawn

Meglet Thu 17-Sep-09 11:10:43

Weekly, me and 2 pre-schoolers, approx £80 inc nappies. I would do it fortnightly but my house is too small to stock any more food. I'm actually in the process of cleaning out the loft so I can stash tins, packets, cleaning products etc as part of my zombie plan to make life easier.

I top up on bread / milk / treats in the week but we can walk to the town centre easily so just do it when we're out and about.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 17-Sep-09 11:13:04

Fortnightly - a £100 internet shop - and then a weekly trip to the butcher and fruit and veg market - about £15 on each. There are five of us and my monthly food budget is £300.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now