Talk

Advanced search

Don't Laugh at me but I want to make a birthday cake

(8 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Wed 16-Sep-09 15:13:59

does anyone have a fool proof recipe? I really want to make ds2's birthday cake for this saturday!

FlamingoBingo Wed 16-Sep-09 15:16:02

What sort of cake does he like?

I usually just do a sponge cake - weight of two (or three, or four, depending on size) eggs of SR flour, sugar and butter. Mix it all together with electric whisk. Bung in oven on 180 C for 15min, then check, then a further 5min until done.

If he wants it chocolatey, substitute two or three tablespoons of flour with cocoa.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 16-Sep-09 15:16:53

Flaming he is going to be 2 and eats all cakes lol.

FlamingoBingo Wed 16-Sep-09 15:18:47

LOL - in that case a simple sponge covered in icing (icing sugar + a bit of hot water + a couple of drops of icing sugar) and sprinkles should do him fine grin

CMOTdibbler Wed 16-Sep-09 15:20:09

My basic sponge is the same as Flamingos, but I tend to use soft margarine and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a spoonful or two of milk.

If you buy a packet of royal icing mix, you can just add some water (about 10 heaped table spoons of mix to 2 tbs of water) to make a spreadable icing, then chuck some dolly mixtures on top

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 16-Sep-09 15:20:24

Flaming have never made a cake before blush my sister normally does them but she is on holiday....LIBERTY!!!!!

FlamingoBingo Wed 16-Sep-09 16:32:04

Get practising! Your DCs will enjoy making cakes too - my oldest DDs (6 and 4) can make that simple sponge recipe on their own now, thanks to lots of practice and the simpleness (can't think of right word!) of the recipe.

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 16-Sep-09 17:29:33

Flaming well once the 2 horrors boys are asleep I will get onto the case lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now