Talk

Advanced search

Soy and linseed bread?

(14 Posts)
phdlife Wed 16-Sep-09 12:02:45

I've had three goes at the Dan Lepard one printed in the Grauniad a while back and it never rises for me so I've torn it up in a huff (and to stop me wasting ingredients).

Anyone got one that actually works?

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 12:09:15

i made linseed bread - it tastes like shit.

but if you type in flaxmeal bread you might get better american recipes - which is what i did ( low carb diet for me)

good luck

Katisha Wed 16-Sep-09 13:11:30

Ah there you are Custy - the flaxseed came yesterday - thankyou!
I rather bodged the first attampt at a cracker in my excitement but have now read the instructions you posted and will get it right!
sorry for hijack.

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 14:55:27

lol no problem, you're welcome

Katisha Wed 16-Sep-09 14:57:19

Filling stuff isn't it...How many carbs do you reckon? Says fibre 4g and sugars 0.2 per tbsp, so do we just count the 0.2?

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 15:06:01

its zero carbs

Katisha Wed 16-Sep-09 15:07:43

Excellent.

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 15:07:43

thats why its brilliant - or so i once thought!

Katisha Wed 16-Sep-09 15:08:28

So did you just overdose?

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 15:17:13

i think i just found better food and a better way of managing my diet

its great if - like me, you are a habitual snacker and when you start the diet - you need to snack - you feel deprived - but ive been doing it for months now and so i literally have a small dinner and an evening meal, sometimes in the evening i get the urge

so i like to have a jelly in the fridge - sugar free low carbs and i can have that if i want.

i tried to bake the loaf with it and it tasted foul

however you can add flavours to it can't you - so maybe a little experimentation is whats needed

let me know how you fare

Katisha Wed 16-Sep-09 15:39:45

I think the main usage for me will be as crackers for cream cheese.

OP are you low carbing or is it a gluten issue?

cupcakelady Thu 17-Sep-09 18:32:14

don't give up phdlife. I've been having great success with the Soya and Rye loaf, even the boys like it !! and on his forum there seem to be lots of people who have posted pictures of the bread they have made with the recipe.

could it be the yeast your using? just a thought I've been using the golden linseed and it tastes good.

phdlife Fri 18-Sep-09 11:26:59

custy it tasted fine, it was just brick-like in texture. about 2" high.

thanks cupcakelady, it's not the yeast as am using the same stuff to make Andrew Whitley's excellent white/wholemeal, no probs.

though come to think of it I tried his milk bread recipe and it too failed to rise.

hmmm...

cupcakelady Sat 19-Sep-09 17:43:59

Now that's weird because that one works for me too.

But anyway, have you tried changing a recipe you like and just adding linseeds? I do that with a Delia's quick and easy wholemeal loaf recipe and add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. just a handful mixed up. turns out great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now